Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Thursday, November 3, 2011

How I Spent My Thursday, and Other Useless Information

My daughter phoned today and gave me a pep talk about keeping up with this inane blogging endeavor. Consider me bucked...  For now, anyway.

Let me start again.

Dear Devoted Reader  (You know who you are!):
      I'm sure you've been waiting with baited breath to hear all about my activities today.
      I'm embarrassed to report that I have, once again, frittered my day away on frivolous pursuits:  To wit, I have been making clothing for wine bottles. Yes. Clothes for wine bottles. (Or if alcohol consumption offends you, you may pretend I have been making them for sparkling cider bottles.)
      Here is how it all started.  I was rummaging in my pattern drawer, when I found this thrift shop item I'd acquired some time or other:


What is it, you ask?  Well, it's what well-dressed wine bottles were wearing back in the days when women apparently had way too much time on their hands. Nowadays, it's called a "Wine Cozy", or so I learned on Etsy when I tried to see if anyone else was making these.
     Unbelievable as it may seem, no one was selling little butler costumes for wine bottles. Now, I did see some homey aprons for dish detergent, but nothing else really resembling bottle clothes. Clearly, it's a seller's market.
    Anyway, I did some fooling about and came up with my own version:


Mine is the one on the bottom, with the fetching taffeta plaid bow tie and no fake pockets.  (Actually, I wanted to add fake pockets, but I didn't have any white embroidery floss.) And here it is, being modeled:


I was on a roll.  So I went on and made...



And then I fooled around and tried making girl waitress wine bottle clothes:


This was not a raving success.  But I intend to work on it.  It's going to be a daunting task, dressing all the world's nudist wine bottles.  But somebody has to do it.

2 comments :

  1. The vests are pretty cool. I'm imagining Vanderbilt would really like having suits for the wine they served at receptions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Color coordinated wine vests for weddings? Sounds like the next best thing since unity sand!

    ReplyDelete