Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Time for Giving of Thanks.... He is Risen!

Loveliest of trees, the cherry now
Is hung with bloom along the bough,
And stands about the woodland ride
Wearing white for Eastertide.

Now, of my threescore years and ten,
Twenty will not come again,
And take from seventy springs a score,
It only leaves me fifty more.

And since to look at things in bloom
Fifty springs are little room,
About the woodlands I will go
To see the cherry hung with snow.

--A. E. Houseman (1859 - 1936)

There's something about a proper spring day that makes me aware of my many blessings--not the least of which are my faithful blog readers (all three or four of them!) and my Etsy customers. Thank you for being  you! 

It is a glorious, glorious spring day here in southwest Washington!  And while we no longer have a cherry tree on the place, it's still a joyous thing to have a truly springlike day at last.  Earlier in the week, we had snow (yes, again!) and hail, and I was beginning to think the trees around here would indeed be "hung with snow" for Easter. My husband's been out with his newly acquired tractor, taking out brush, and my youngest son and I have been weeding and edging one of the flower beds. Of course, the poms have been keeping us company.  They dearly love a diversion!

 

Yesterday, Wickham and Lollia had to go to the vet for teeth cleaning and, in Wick's case, an extraction as well. I was astonished to find out he'd already broken one molar and developed a small crack in another one.  No more antlers for him to chew on!  Now I've got a bagful of anti-plaque products and instructions to brush his teeth regularly, a practice that will go over like a lead balloon, I don't doubt.

Earlier this morning I tried a new recipe I found on the King Arthur Flour site--braided lemon bread--and the results look fabulous!  I can't wait to try it, but this is for our church's Easter breakfast tomorrow.  The filling is a combination of cream cheese and lemon curd....mmmmm!

I've got to dash--my son and daughter-in-law have just arrived, bringing my granddaughter Benita.  It's so odd to see her sitting up on the couch beside her grandpa, just like regular company!  She'll be crawling before long.  Oops--I just remembered, I've been sewing her a dress for Easter and I haven't finished it yet!  Oh, dear!  Well, she'll look just as fetching in it next Sunday as this Sunday.

I hope you all have a wonderful day tomorrow, remembering the greatest gift of love and sacrifice ever given--that of God's Son, Jesus Christ, who took on the punishment for our guilt and sin so that we could be forgiven and live with Him forever in heaven.  "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)  He proved it, by rising from the dead!  Hallelujah!!  What a Savior! 

 

2 comments :