Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Friday, May 18, 2012

Friday's Finds

Nearly every Friday my husband and I do errands in town ("town" being about a 20 minute drive away) and we're usually scanning for garage sales and estate sales as we go.  At least, now that the weather's warmed up and folks are having sales again after the long, cold, wet winter.  It's not quite the same as when I go "junking" with my sister-in-law--my husband tends to get his fill of it rather too quickly for my liking, and then we have to head for home--but I usually get to stop at a few sales and, often as not, find something to bring home either to keep or sell.

So with that in mind, it occurs to me I can start a weekly post to discuss and show the goodies acquired on those Friday morning outings. Almost like a real blogger with a real column--!!

This morning we went to four sales, two of which were complete duds--masses of used clothes, candles, and resin knickknacks from Ross and Wal-Mart.  But the other two yielded up some intriguing items.

First, let me show you the lovely vintage bedspread I acquired.  It is, I believe, rayon acetate, and looks like it dates to the early sixties. It has a few discolorations from sun damage, but on the whole, it's really nice.  I put it on the bed in my sewing room/guest room, to make a change from the rose-pink chenille bedspread that's been there all winter.

This is the print--very "cottage chic", as they say. The top is all this print, and the sides are solid minty/seafoam colored.  It's very lightweight and shiny, which doesn't really show well in this photo I just snapped. It's a full-sized bedspread, but considering modern fat mattresses, it fits just right on the twin bed.

Another sale yielded two items of note.  The first is a large cardboard print of one of those sad-eyed cats by the sixties artist Gig. Last year I was lucky enough to find a set of 4 of his prints, small and on heavy paper, and even though they were somewhat faded, they sold for $60.00.  I wonder how this one will do, which is much larger and brighter, and on the heavy textured cardboard?  It does have damage to one corner, but it's minimal and nothing a decent frame or matboard wouldn't cover. It measures roughly 16" by 19".  These "pity kitties" have a devoted following and if you check out the completed listings on eBay, you'll see they sell fairly well.


And now, for the grand finale, I show you the item I'm most excited about.  Could this be bakelite???
 
As you can see, it's not a brooch or an earring. It appears to be a shoe clip. (Or is that a shoe shoe clip?)
I paid $1.00 for this.  If it's bakelite, it's surely worth a good deal more! It certainly seems like an old design, and that's actual cord there for the lacing.  I'll have to do some research and see what I can find out.  I'd welcome any input you might have.

Today's Peppy report:
This morning Peppy went forging out into the yard, going halfway around the perimeter of the fence before he stopped and let me know he'd gone far enough. I was astonished!  However, at lunchtime when I went to pick him up to carry him outside again, he yelped twice, even though I was being quite careful in handling him, so I wonder if he overstrained himself?  I had Metacam on hand "just in case" and I gave him .25 ml and  he's seemed fine since.  Next week he has a post-op check-up and it will be interesting to hear what the vet thinks.


 


No comments :

Post a Comment