Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Monday, November 19, 2012

Boo and Hiss to Alistair Cooke

The weather here today is wild and windy and quite exhilarating--fairly typical for November in my area, but perhaps with a bit more "oomph" than usual. We're under a high wind warning, so I wanted to share this recipe I promised you before we lose power. 

Alistair Cooke (think Masterpiece Theatre) made a most unflattering remark about one of my favorite Thanksgiving foods--cranberry sauce.  To wit:

 "It has been an unchallengeable American doctrine that cranberry sauce, a pink goo with overtones of sugared tomatoes, is a delectable necessity of the Thanksgiving board and that turkey is uneatable without it. There are some things in every country that you must be born to endure, and another hundred years of general satisfaction with Americans and America could not reconcile this expatriate to cranberry sauce..."

Need I point out that the gentleman in question hales from a nation which considers brussels sprouts a Christmas dinner staple? Or that, for many, the phrase "British cuisine" is an absolute oxymoron? I shall try and excuse him for that reason, but I must admit, I'm struggling.

I love cranberry sauce. Particularly mine. 

Now if you are a true foodie/gourmet/purist, skip this recipe. But if you love a good, easy, tart and tasty relish that requires only 3 ingredients and and about 2 minutes of your time, read on.
SUPER EASY, TART YUMMY CRANBERRY SAUCE
In a microwaveable bowl or small saucepan, combine:
1   14-ounce can whole berry cranberry sauce 
1/3 to 1/2 cup of orange marmalade
a handful (maybe 1/2 cup) of coarsely chopped pecans
Now, warm this up in the microwave for about a minute (I used high) and then stir. Microwave it for 30-60 seconds more. Stir. Taste. Add more marmalade or nuts if you prefer.  (If you're cooking on the stove, just warm it up until it all mixes nicely.)
 Serve warm or cold.
That is it!  I came up with this years ago after tasting the cranberry sauce at a Boston Market restaurant. I liked it so much I experimented until I came up with my own version. 
I wish I had more time to chat today, but I have things to take care of before the electricity goes out.  I'll try and post again soon.
  

No comments :

Post a Comment