Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Saturday, December 22, 2012

And the Winner Is...

We've had guests today--a low key time, but most pleasant. I tried some new recipes for the occasion. That's not always the wisest plan, but it worked out fine in this instance. I made a hot chicken/cheese dip which I served with corn chips for the main dish, and a fresh cranberry relish salad--very refreshing and crisp. My mother-in-law brought her delicious homemade rolls, and there were cookies, punch, and the peppermint ice cream which we made in advance yesterday. It was a good day.

Afterward I fell asleep on the couch and when I woke, it was dark and the twinkle lights were on. It was very peaceful and Christmasy. 

One of the desserts we served was a vintage no-bake cookie recipe for which I hunted in vain for years before finally locating it in a sixties-era magazine. "Cocoa Peanut Logs" is the name, and in spite of the ultra simple ingredients and preparation, they are addictively tasty. It also has the advantage of being wheat and egg free for those of you with those specific dietary restrictions.

I waited rather late to photograph the cookies before they were inhaled, but I did manage to snap this one when there were still a few left. 
I post the original recipe below, with my own minor alterations noted in red.   

Cocoa Peanut Logs

1 package (2 cups) chocolate chips
1/4 cup peanut butter
4 cups Cocoa Krispies

Combine the chocolate chips and peanut butter and melt over low heat, stirring frequently to blend. (I microwaved mine, and used extra dark chocolate chips.) Add Cocoa Krispies and mix carefully until thoroughly coated. (I prefer this a bit more chocolatey and less dry, so I reduce the cereal to about 3 1/2 cups.)  Spread in a buttered 13" x 9" pan and allow to firm up. Cut into 1" x 3" bars. (It's easier to use a large cookie scoop and mound individual portions on a piece of waxed paper. No messy cutting, and no pan to wash.)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
In yesterday's post I shared my admiration for the movie The House Without a Christmas Tree, one of the finest holiday films I know of. There are others I also love, of many different genres--We're No Angels, A Christmas Story, and the Twilight Zone's episode, The Night of the Meek. But my hands-down favorite is one you would probably never guess.

I'm not a person who gets choked up easily over sentimental things. I'm just not wired that way. I may feel things deeply, but tears--nah. But there is one Christmas program that really gets to me and if I were going to shed a few happy tears, this would be the one that would do it for me. You may find this hard to believe, but I kid you not. I give you...  my personal favorite...

 Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol

 
   
I love this program. I'm not sure just why. I understand it was the first animated Christmas special ever shown on television when it was first shown in 1962.

I looked forward to it every year as a kid, but then it disappeared, being supplanted by newer, splashier specials. When I finally stumbled upon a VHS recording of this many years later my joy knew no bounds and I snapped it up pronto. For those of you who have grown up in the video/DVD era, you can't imagine what this meant. It was like finding buried treasure. To be able to watch an out-of-date beloved program whenever I wanted--!  Not to be dependent on the whim of a television station to broadcast it--!  Oh, rapture!!!

Give this one a whirl. You may even find yourself getting a little bit choked up... just like me.

 

We'll have the Lord's bright blessing,
And knowing we're together 
Knowing we're together heart and hand, 
We'll have the whitest Christmas,
The very brightest Christmas,
A Christmas far more glorious than grand! 

God bless us, EVERY ONE! 

No comments :

Post a Comment