Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Thursday, December 6, 2012

 
Mr. Bubble... Gets You So Clean, Your Mother Won't Know You

 
It's been another full day. I shipped another armload of packages, took yet another dog (Dexter) to the groomer, and my husband and I attended my niece's father-in-law's funeral. 

If that sounds gloomy, it wasn't. Don was an affable old fellow, and the service was very special. His three little grandchildren took part in the service, singing and reading scripture; we all sang some beautiful hymns; and the pastor brought an excellent message about heaven. 

It's funny how you can read a certain scripture dozens--maybe hundreds--of times, and yet someone will use it in such a way that it seems as if you're hearing it for the very first time. Kind of like the old York Peppermint Patty commercials! Well, that's the way it was for me today. One of the texts was 2 Peter 1:11:

For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

The pastor spoke of the believer having an "abundant entrance" into heaven, and it really struck me. Even though it's something I "know" as a Christian, there was something so refreshing and uplifting hearing it expressed in that way. Since our standing with God is not dependent upon our earning his favor and pardon (Jesus has already "paid the purchase price" for us--another phrase the pastor used) we won't just be squeaking into heaven by the skin of our teeth, as it were, but we'll be abundantly welcomed!

I was still thinking about this when we got home. It was dusk, so I got myself some coffee and the dogs and I went upstairs to my private nook. I lit some candles, popped in one of my favorite Christmas cassettes (Celestial Christmas), and examined this passage of scripture in several different Bible translations. It was wonderful. I felt so uplifted, and very Christmasy, I might add.

When I came back downstairs I put on Handel's Messiah and continued the joyful meditation. It was a nice way to bring the business of the day to a close.
  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
In case you're wondering about the above photo, 
check this out on youtube (showing my age here!): 

   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmUnqrZI4qE
  

No comments :

Post a Comment