Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Thursday, January 24, 2013

So Many Books, So Little Time

© Miles Hyman - Reading...
http://media-cache-ec4.pinterest.com/upload/214695107206376517_Xa6NWdAc_c.jpg
 Several months ago, my daughter-in-law brought me a book she had just finished, saying she was sure I would enjoy it. I had good intentions of reading it, but somehow never got around to it. Life gets busy; too often it crowds out those good intentions. And anyway, I have so many books on hand I hope to read; this one didn't jostle its way to the top of my list.

But last week, I finally picked up the book and began to read Max Lucado's 3:16: The Numbers of Hope. (Published by Thomas Nelson, 2007)

I've read some of Max Lucado's work before. He has an easy-going, engaging, readable style, and a talent for making profound spiritual truths understandable and relevant, without being preachy or pompous or dry. So I expected the book to be good. 

What I didn't expect was how much it had to say to me. John 3:16. The one Bible verse almost every Christian can recite by heart, even if they don't know a single additional scripture:
 "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life."
I've been a Christian since I was eleven years old, so I didn't expect Max Lucado's book to be anything other than a pleasant reminder of basic truths I'd already long since grasped and believed. I'm nearly finished with the book now, and all I can say about my initial apathetic attitude is, "What a dope!"  I have learned so much, and been so refreshed with new insight.

This is an excellent book and when I read a chapter aloud to my husband yesterday, he, too, was excited about what he was hearing.

Today's chapter featured a most inspiring story about a father-son team that regularly competes in marathons, triathlons, and other athletic endurance events. Their names are Rick and Dick Hoyt. I had never heard of them before, but their story will astound you. I was so intrigued, I looked them up online and found this video on youtube. I won't spoil the surprise for you, but I hope you'll watch this short clip:



 


Max Lucado uses this remarkable duo to make a point about our relationship with God. 
"...Rick Hoyt relies on his dad to do it all; lift him, push him, pedal him, and tow him. Other than a willing heart, he makes no contribution to the effort. Rick depends entirely on the strength of his dad.
God wants you to do the same. 'Whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life' (John 3:16)...
We bring to the spiritual race what Rick Hoyt brings to the physical one. Our spiritual legs have no strength. Our morality has no muscle. Our good deeds cannot carry us across the finish line, but Christ can."

I'm excited about this book. I hope you'll get a copy and read it, too.

A rebus puzzle from a Sunday School book in my collection, Our Little Tot's Speaker, circa 1917



No comments :

Post a Comment