Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Flea Market Find

Yesterday Claudia and I visited a flea market where, several weeks ago, I had spotted a zip-lock bag with assorted useless-looking doll clothes, one of which looked to me like a Vogue Jill outfit from the 1950s. The bag wasn't priced, and the fellow manning the stall said it belonged to his wife and he wasn't sure what she wanted for it, and he wasn't willing to guess. Reluctantly, I left it behind, but when I got home, I did some researching (ahem!) and found that the dress was, indeed, a Vogue Jill dress as I had thought. [Research translation: I phoned my daughter and described it to her. She immediately verified my hunch and told me the dress was worth probably $30.]

I couldn't believe it when I returned yesterday and the bag of doll clothes was still available. I thought sure some astute buyer would have snapped it up already. It still wasn't priced, but the wife was on duty so I approached her about it, thinking I might be lucky enough to persuade her to sell it for $5.00. She then said, "Oh, those clothes go with the doll--" and pointed out a pretty little Vogue Jill lookalike with an Ideal stamp on the back of her head. "I'll sell you the doll and the clothes for $10.00."

Racing to the computer with my treasure when I got home, I dumped out the bag and sorted through the outfits, attempting to match them against some photos I found on Pinterest and other doll-collector sites. Let me show you the goodies!


First of all, the doll herself. She's 10 1/2 inches tall, and I believe I've nailed her identity as Little Miss Revlon. The outfit she is wearing has no labels, but it fascinates me and I wonder if any of you recognize it?

The hat, I'm thinking, actually goes with this skirt, and I think they're from a Vogue outfit.
On Pinterest I found a blurry photo of a vintage brochure showing a similar outfit, but now I can't relocate that pin. Rats! Neither the skirt nor the hat has a label, so maybe it's just a clever knock-off.

Here's the striped dress that originally caught my eye. It's pretty distinctive, so if you come across one, you'll be able to recognize it. Madeline tells me the resale value is at least $30.  

Amid the jumble of junk doll clothes, I was startled to find another labeled Vogue outfit: This pajama and robe set! I would never have guessed these were collectible. They seem so ordinary. It will be fun to find out what they're worth.

Almost all the remaining doll clothes are miscellaneous homemade and cheap manufactured outfits belonging to baby dolls, but I did find two items that intrigue me. I don't know if they were handsewn or manufactured, but let me show them to you just in case. They're a bit too large to belong to a Vogue Jill or Little Miss Revlon.

 I love the dress's sheer, flocked skirt! (Which makes me think--maybe I should do a post sharing samples of my coveted stash of flocked fabric sometime.)

Oh, there was another item I picked up at the flea market I wanted to show you--a little ballet doll, about 6 inches tall. She reminds me vaguely of a Dawn doll, but perhaps you recognize and can tell me more about this small vintage oddity:

Well, I'll close for now. If you can shed any light on these recent acquisitions, I'd be so pleased if you'd comment and share it!

Tomorrow I'll update you on the Craftsy Mystery Crawl-Along--er, Knit Along.    

No comments :

Post a Comment