Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Friday, March 29, 2013

When Women and Angels Meet

Artwork used by gracious permission of William P. Thayer Photography:

Jesus - On the Cross - Easter Art - Religious Wall Art
 
When my children were small, Good Friday was often spent making what we called "Empty Tomb Buns"--in actuality, "Balloon Buns", a recipe from an old Betty Crocker cookbook. It's a fun way to bring the wonder of Christ's resurrection home to kids. I've done it with Sunday School classes, too.  
 
My recipe was a homemade sweet roll dough, but you can easily make these with canned biscuit dough. The idea is to wrap a marshmallow in dough, roll it in cinnamon sugar, and bake. When you bite into the fresh hot roll, surprise! The marshmallow is gone, leaving a hollow "cave". Don't tell the kids what's going to happen--just casually talk about Jesus being buried in a cave and how sad everyone was. Then when the kids make the exciting discovery of the missing marshmallow, you exclaim, "Wow, that's just like what happened on Easter morning! Jesus was all sealed in the tomb, but when his friends came, the tomb was empty! Jesus wasn't dead anymore!" 
 
If you'd like to try this, you can find numerous recipes for balloon buns online, or just go to this link here:
 
 
 
As promised, here is the next chapter of Earth's Greatest Day, "When Women and Angels Meet". 
 


 

No comments :

Post a Comment