Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Friday, December 20, 2013

It Can't Be Far Away

From my personal collection: a Christmas card illustrated by Tasha Tudor

Hurtling onward...  Just a few more days and Christmas 2013 will be a reality. Somehow that always feels so strange--Christmas seems to be a thing we look forward to for so long it's almost like a mirage, something always in the distance. And then, bang! Suddenly there it is, right smack in the face, and I'm thinking, "Where did that come from?" I'm always taken somewhat aback.

Today I'm determined to finish up on the projects I've been working on. I blocked a crocheted item so I can get it wrapped this weekend, and I put the finishing touches on my latest poodle toilet tissue cozy, which is going to be a gift for my mother-in-law.

My mother-in-law,  like many seniors, prefers not to receive lavish or expensive gifts for Christmas or birthdays. There's little she needs, and her wants are simple. But she does love a good gag gift-- especially, for reasons I don't completely fathom, if they are in any way related to Roman Catholicism. (No, she's not a Catholic, but a staunch Lutheran. Go figure!)

So this year, I have whipped out a suitable poodle in her honor. For want of a better name, I'm calling her Sister Mary Canine, or maybe I should call her Sister Fido-ma. (Your suggestions are welcome!)

I crocheted the pieces several weeks ago, and last weekend I got them sewn together. Then it was trying to figure out how to make the veil...  I ran short of black fabric and I'm  not overly thrilled with the job I've done, but it will suffice. With eyes newly glued on and a few pious-looking additions, I think the Sister is ready for her new vocation as guardian of the extra toilet paper roll in my mother-in-law's bathroom. I've no doubt she will be hilariously received.


The Sister's harp and dove are glued into place. These were former wedding cake toppers.
I still have a couple more projects to finish making, but whether or not I'll have the nerve to share them with you I've still not decided! We enjoy "tacky" in this family, and I may not be audacious enough to share the depths to which I am willing to sink for a good laugh!

And I did make some yummy goodies today (I'll try and find the original recipe for you tomorrow) and I baked the layers for a coconut cake for Christmas dinner. I'm freezing those, and will ice them on Christmas Eve. Getting ready...slow and steady wins the race!

Meanwhile, I wanted to share this link to one of my favorite Christmas songs. It's not one most people are familiar with, but I've loved it for many years. It has a rather haunting quality. I hope you enjoy it!




No comments :

Post a Comment