Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

First Vintage Find of the New Year

I had errands in town this morning, and gave myself the luxury of a reasonably leisurely perusal of the local Goodwill store. I was hoping to find great vintage yarn or fabric but, while disappointed on that score, I did come up with something unexpected. I noticed a handbag in the showcase and since the store wasn't busy, managed to get a clerk to take it out so I could examine it. Here, take a look for yourself:



It's genuine reptile skin of some sort, I'm fairly certain. Alligator? Crocodile? Lizard? And apparently vintage. The base is in another type of reptile skin which I think I'm safe in assuming is snakeskin. I nearly fainted when I saw the price--$49.99. But then the clerk said, "Oh, it's a red tag, so it's half price!" Even at $25 it seemed steep, but on further examination I found a booklet inside, which made me realize this is no ordinary cheapo purse. It's a Ganson, made in Hong Kong. 
Definitely a higher-end bag. There's a patent number label inside, as well. I'll need to do some research to find out what it's worth when I get ready to resell it. It's a bigger, deeper bag than I prefer to use myself so I won't keep it, but someone's bound to want it. It's in very good condition--just a few spots of minor wear inside.

Okay, I promised to show you some knitting stuff, and now that the holidays are past, I've had time to ease back in to the needlework.

I've started a new online Craftsy class, Improve Your Knitting with Patty Lyons, and I'm enjoying it a lot and learning a lot as well. I should have done this years ago! And I've bought some new PDF patterns for small projects, the kind of things I can do in the evenings while watching television with my husband. It drives me nuts to just sit and watch--I have to be doing something! These cute little cat patterns are ideal. 


I'm making these of cotton yarn for this first run-through. I'm thinking they'll work nicely for washcloths and hotpads for Peppy's shop. It would be fun to make them from soft pastel yarn for knitted patchwork baby blankets as well. (I need to check and see if there are any restrictions to selling these first--some designers reserve those rights.) 

 The patterns cost $1.50 each and can be ordered through Craftsy. I see here the designer has scads more--I can't resist them! Must...order...more...PDFs...




I also have another Blaire/Skipper doll dress mostly finished. It's kind of bunchy looking, but I wanted to play around with this vintage lightweight boucle yarn I had. I still need to tweak this a bit. If I make another like this, I'll use smooth yarn.
On the crocheting front, I've dug an unfinished loop & bangle/sequin hat out of my project stash and hope to get it completed this week. It won't take much work to finish it, and it would be nice to get it done. I love the holographic iridescent bangles.
I'm eager to talk more about knitting and crocheting in my next post, so do check back. I hope to have more great resources to share.


No comments :

Post a Comment