Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Saturday, January 18, 2014

That Seventies Apron...And That Other Seventies Apron...And...





I don't know about you, but I could no more function without an apron than I could do housework in high heels and pearls like June Cleaver supposedly did.

http://mattisonsavenue.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/june-3.jpg
I keep a ready stack in a drawer in the kitchen because I go through three or four of them a week. Mine are of a fairly basic strap-over-the-neck/tie-at-the-waist design, but I do have a small stash of delightful sleeved smock aprons from the 1970s which I pull out and admire from time to time. 

Yesterday I spent about 10 minutes in the Goodwill (I would have loved to linger, but my husband was waiting in the car--he's not a thrift store fan) and during my top-speed scan, I found another of these fun smock aprons to add to my collection. 
Isn't it nifty? Not bad for $2.99, even though it does have a couple of tiny stains.  Here's close-up of the fabric; it's such a happy print.

My others I've had for a few years. First, let me show you the one I think of as The Thanksgiving Apron.
Peppy and Wickham decided to join me for the photo.
This Indian corn motif is so delightful. I've got two close-ups for you:

Wouldn't you love to find a few yards of that fabric?

My next apron isn't as exuberant as those first two, but it's still got its seventies era charm. It's more of a "flower child" affair.



Actually this photo is making the colors more summery than they really are. It's more olive green/orange-y than lime/fuschia. It's another good autumn apron.

Now, for the capper! I defy anyone to come up with a more iconic seventies smock apron than this one:
The Psychedelic Mushroom Apron! 

 (My husband just said, "They'll think you've been out there picking them in pose!" Ahem...It's strictly a caffeine buzz, I assure you.)



Isn't this fabric fantastic? What I wouldn't give to get hold of a few yards--or better yet, a whole bolt--of this vintage classic.

Now that I've exhausted my own smock collection, I felt I simply had to check and see what similar aprons I could find on Etsy.

Ta-Dahhhh!!!!!!!
Vintage 60s Awesome Design House Owl Smock Apron
www.etsy.com/listing/172207985/vintage-60s-awesome-design-house-owl
RogueRetro has this gem for sale for $35...  I'm admiring the owl print... drool....

1970's Apron Smock by Design House STRAWBERRIES and Pink Polka Dots S M
www.etsy.com/listing/153695035/1970s-apron-smock-by-design-house
 YesterThreads has this delight on sale for $24....  swoon.... I love these strawberries!

TWIGGY TIE BACK MOD  VTG 60s BELL FULL APRON  or Smock MINI DRESS
www.etsy.com/listing/32335819/twiggy-tie-back-mod-vtg-60s-bell-full 
Here's a refreshing faux patchwork model priced at $39.50 by VintageDove. Nifty greens!

Sale Vintage Mod Tunic Smock Flower Power Design House
www.etsy.com/listing/152573785/sale-vintage-mod-tunic-smock-flower 
Another winner, this one for the great price of $12, is available from vintagefrombutterfly.  Very reasonable price and a fun way to start your own collection!
Vintage 70s Tie Back Smock
www.etsy.com/listing/164993309/vintage-70s-tie-back-smock

 LetsFolk is offering this classic at a real bargain--snap it up for $10.00. The floral medallion print is so attractive!
 
vintage 60s 70s cartoon owl print open back smock tunic shirt 1960s kitschy psychedelic tulip owls printed tie back smock top size medium
www.etsy.com/listing/168519565/vintage-60s-70s-cartoon-owl-print-open
VeryBestVintage has another happy vintage owl print; this one in a cheery yellow. Price is $24.00.

 
I hope you're as inspired as I am with these terrific aprons. I've decided to get mine out of the closet and put them to good use even though I find them a challenge to tie by myself. That's really the only reason I don't wear them more, but that's lame! These are too good to hide away, so I'm turning over a new leaf as of now.

Until the next time, happy junking!

1 comment :