Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

World War II Memorabilia Mystery

Just a quick post; I'm trying to get an idea of the background and value of a little handmade wooden trinket box I acquired at a sale a few weeks ago.

In and of itself, the box is not particularly remarkable. It seems to be made of balsa or some other light wood. It has compartments inside and has been painted in a kind of tole/folk art style with pigments that have become faded over the decades.

The intriguing thing about this little find is the inked inscription inside the lid: "Japan, 1945". I'm thinking this must be something made by a soldier during the post-WWII occupation? I'd sure like your take on it. And if anyone has an idea of how I should price it or classify it, please do leave a comment or message me via etsy at melmacparadise.etsy.com.



The box measures 8" long, 5 1/2" wide, and 2 1/8" deep with the lid on. I'd sure appreciate your input!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Update:  I just received this reply from fellow Etsian, Marirose:

 
Victoria, This kind of box is usually called "Trench Art" The Soldiers made things like this to have something to do. They used whatever materials they could find and had on hand, such as wooden match boxes, or if they had access to them even old wooden airplane propellers, etc. They usually brought these things home to their family. As for pricing, you can do a google image search and find something like yours and go from there. There will not be one exactly the same as they were one of a kind of course, but you can get an idea anyway. Hope this helps you.

I hope you'll check out Marirose's shop, EraAntiquesandFinds! She has a variety of impressive items, including this Weiss mesh bracelet which has me positively swooning...
Weiss Signed Mesh And Rhinestone Vintage Bracelet Treasury Item
www.etsy.com/listing/182705151/weiss-signed-mesh-and-rhinestone-vintage

 

No comments :

Post a Comment