Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Monday, November 3, 2014

Monday Maunderings


A career in space exploration and a red shirt: Not generally a good idea.

www.etsy.com/treasury/MTA0ODU1ODB8MjcyNjk4NjI3NA/step-away-from-the-red-pullover



My sister-in-law and I broke down and did a bit of vintage retail therapy on Saturday, though both of us were very good and purchased only a fraction of the former typical mounds of loot we would have hauled home in months and years past. Both of us still have way too much stuff, with veritable mountains of choice vintage gems sitting by our computers, waiting to be photographed and listed in our Etsy shops. At some point, one simply has to fondle the merchandise, put it back down, sigh, and resolutely walk away .

Nevertheless, into every recovering junker's life the occasional fling must occur, like a pressure cooker letting off a bit of steam. Especially as we veer into the Christmas season and the flea markets and thrift stores haul out their great aging holiday items we baby boomers respond to with nostalgia and open wallets.

Okay, let me show you what I came home with.







 Isn't this an interesting little doll? Her name is "Love Me Linda" and she was also billed as "Pretty As a Picture". She's a 15" tall 1965 Vogue doll, and she's wearing her original outfit, though obviously it's badly faded, and the doll herself needs TLC. I paid $10 for her which is more than I normally fork out for vintage items, but she intrigued me so! Here's what she would have looked like when brand new:

 http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5503/9463707140_44c7df8f48.jpg

www.flickriver.com/groups/lovemelinda/pool/interesting/

Cool, huh? Kind of like an early version of Blythe. If you look closely, you can see that the doll in the red dress has a molded tear on her cheek. Apparently the doll was produced with or without a tear so you had a choice. Do check out the link in the caption--this collector has an enchanting array of these lovely dolls and their many pretty outfits. If I'd been given a doll like this as a kid, I might have been more of a doll person, but I only received those gaggy-looking baby dolls that were pretty much stock-in-trade in the sixties, and I couldn't work up any enthusiasm for them. 


Yecchhhh... 
(with apologies to LovesMetal.etsy.com and those of you who really love these things, though I simply cannot relate!) 
Vintage early1960's Horsman 2515 10 eye S14 sleepy blue eyes doll with original clothes, pearls, and socks/shoes REDUCED
www.etsy.com/listing/202997340/vintage-early1960s-horsman-2515-10-eye
 Is it any wonder I took to trolls?



I had to snap up these troll earrings for $1, not that I intend for them to remain earrings. They will revert to troll babies, as--no doubt in my mind--they were originally intended to be.


I truly have a soft spot for trolls! The kids on my street and I had a whole troll society going one summer--homes, families, businesses... We even had troll currency! It was terrific fun. Wonderful memory... Sigh...

Okay, what else did I find? Oh, yes, these fabulous tacky plastic diorama Christmas tree ornaments for a quarter apiece!

Earlier this summer I found one similar ornament; it's nice to be able to add it to these just acquired.




At the same flea market stall, I acquired a bunch of my beloved vintage deer miniatures, all wired up onto florist picks. Naturally I shall be freeing them from these ugly attachments forthwith so they can take their up their proper domain with my ever-burgeoning herd. Another whopping 25 cent purchase!






Okay, enough...

I did want to show you something cool my sister-in-law made. We got to talking about the old Christmas centerpieces we remembered from our misspent youth, and she was inspired enough to whip this out:

Don't mind the chair! I was in a hurry to take the photo before we took off for the all-important flea market excursion.



www.etsy.com/listing/208793160/christmas-centerpiece-table-decoration

I may get inspired to try my own hand at something similar. I just need to find a good piece of styrofoam for the base and I'll be set. I vaguely remember one we had when I was growing up; it featured a sleigh. I've got one I could use, silver glitter, and I think some bottle-brush Christmas trees...

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, after I listed my terrific turquoise poodle cozy about a week ago (see below) I got an inquiry for a custom order in bubblegum pink. My custom order person dropped off the radar afterward which is what I get for not requiring payment in advance, but I figure someone will still want this gal, so I'm not worried. A pink poodle, after all! How can one resist?


www.etsy.com/listing/209482810/modern-sized-toilet-tissue-poodle-cozy




www.etsy.com/listing/209482810/modern-sized-toilet-tissue-poodle-cozy

www.etsy.com/listing/208739622/kitsch-poodle-pair-bathroom-cozies







1 comment :