Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The World's Biggest

Sorry I've been so remiss in keeping up with the blog. March was insane, and here in April I've caught one of my rare but long-lingering colds. A disgusting business.

Life has not been without its lighter moments, however, despite my raging raw throat.

It seems my little one-horse town has come up with yet another way to put itself on the proverbial map. Let me give you a hint.


We already have the state's "Biggest Living Christmas Tree" (cough, cough... and I'll let you decide whether that's my cold or my snide and cynical nature expressing itself there). Remind me next Christmas to tell you more about that.

Here's the background on our newest nonsense. Because we have had ghastly cell phone reception here due to our hilly, sort-of-mountainous, location, there's been a lot of talk about getting a cell phone tower put in locally. 

But there's been a lot of opposition to a cell phone tower, too. After all, it could

  • Be too ugly.  
  • Spoil the view. 
  • Sully our historic logging town character. 
  • Drive away those legions of tourists we attract. 
  • Look too conspicuous. 

So, after long debate, the town powers-that-be have decided we can have a cell phone tower, but it must be made to blend in.

Would you like to see what we have now? My husband dubbed it "The World's Biggest Bottle Brush". Here it is, under construction.



A waste of money and manpower? Oh, come now!


Aren't you proud you're helping pay for these branches with every cell phone call you make?


Notice how well it's blending in with the natural surroundings.
Who would ever guess this isn't just another Douglas Fir?
Nestled in a quaint junkyard of derelict bulldozers and logging equipment, we can be grateful to the city planners that the new cell phone tower isn't going to detract from our renowned small-town scenic charm.

Conspicuous?! Really?





On another upbeat note--(No! I mean it this time!)--one of my treasuries was featured in a nifty blog I'd like to introduce you to. It's "The Etsy Treasury Hunter" and it features a few impressive treasury collections found on Etsy each day. You can access the blog here:
 ww.theetsytreasuryhunter.com/search?updated-max=2015-03-31T03:30:00-07:00

I was honored to be selected for this great exposure with my treasury on March 30. There was a terrific "Mad Men" treasury, a pretty spring treasury, an Alice in Wonderland treasury, and mine:
 
www.etsy.com/treasury/MTUzNDcxMDN8MjcyNzM4MjcyMg/when-i-visit-grandmas-house

Thank you so much, Kelly, for singling my treasury out! There are so many terrific collections being churned out every day by talented Etsy curators that this was a signal honor to me.

Another thing I meant to mention sooner was that dubious true confession I promised to make a few posts ago...  (And if you don't know what I'm talking about, I'm certainly not telling you!) 

Okay. Here it comes.

Yes, that was me frolicking up there on that library table. Way back in the dark mists of time, of course. Many long pounds ago. And many long hairs ago, too.




No comments :

Post a Comment