Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

The Foothill Folly

Hoarding takes many forms.

And while, as a borderline/recovered hoarder (Ahem! Collector!) myself, I can sympathize with the tendency to amass too much of a good thing. Vera scarves, for example, or California pottery parrots, let's say. Vintage children's books, or charming old chenille rugs or jadite coffee mugs.

But dirt? Seriously? DIRT?

I kid you not.

Over the weekend, a squirrelly neighbor has talked a local excavator into using her place as a dumping ground for fill dirt from a construction project up the road. I'm not even talking top soil here, I'm talking plain old clay dirt, big rocks, and boulders. The dump trucks rumbled up and down the lane every 10 minutes or so for a couple of days. Her once-lovely field now looks like the foothills of a small mountain range.

Last night, one of our other neighbors phoned my husband and said, "L----, I'm looking out my window and all I see is dirt." To say we're all a bit horrified is an understatement. 

Here's what I'm talking about:






Next week we're expecting hot temperatures and wind. I'm not looking forward to coping with the resultant dust. Guess I won't be hanging any clothes out on the line to dry.

One of my sons jokingly asked if anyone has seen the neighbor's husband lately?

Okay, that's it for today. This wasn't the post I intended to write, but then I'm still trying to process this bizarre eccentricity and it's about all I have on my mind. 

Got any good "nutty neighbor" stories? We could all use a good laugh, so please share! That reminds me, one of these days I will tell you about one my mom had!




No comments :

Post a Comment