(Please note: This is an excerpt of a post from 2012. It seems worth repeating.)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Though I try not to get too serious in this blog (or anywhere else, for that matter) I did want to take this opportunity, so close to election time, to address one very important subject.
Now, don't get frightened--I'm not going to start endorsing or condemning candidates here, nor will I be slinging mud, nor weighing the issues. But I did want to share this small article which I clipped out of a company newsletter many years ago. I can't vouch for the accuracy of these claims; I simply recopy the article here for your consideration. I hope you will read it and pass it along.
The Importance of One Vote
- In 1645, one vote gave Oliver Cromwell control over England.
- In 1649,one vote caused Charles I of England to be executed.
- In 1776, one vote gave America the English language instead of German.
- In 1845, one vote brought Texas into the Union.
- In 1868, one vote saved President Andrew Johnson from impeachment.
- In 1876, one vote changed France's form of government from a monarchy to a republic.
- In 1923, one vote gave Hitler control of the Nazi party.
- In 1941, one vote saved the military draft just weeks before Pearl Harbor.