Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Monday, March 6, 2017

My Personal Monster Quest



As most of you who have followed this lame excuse for a blog for any amount of time already know, usually I'm making poodles. Or terriers. Or something in the domestic friendly line.










www.etsy.com/listing/484918847/on-sale-now-gravel-art-cat-wall-plaque


But with the long winter days and resultant cabin fever, I've gone off on a different tangent. I've gone "squatchy". Or "sasquatchy". Or "bigfooty". Or "yeti-y". Or stark raving mad. You may take your choice. 

Actually, I've been squatchy for decades, but I've just recently got brave enough to mingle in the vast Bigfoot-believer subculture. Here I am hanging out with my sons at my first ever Sasquatch convention. (My middle son is behind the camera; my youngest is the one hamming it up, of course.) As for the big guy behind us, well... And I've joined a couple of discussion groups on facebook to compare notes and share photographs. It's a lot of fun! And nice to have people to talk to about one's experiences who don't treat you like you've totally gone off your nut because you know you saw what you saw, or heard what you heard.


One of these days I'll maybe share some of my family's experiences here, but in the meantime, I wanted to share with you how this "coming out of the closet" has affected my creative output.

Here are a couple of views of my  prototype bigfoot, which I made and sold a few months ago, mixing together a couple of types of leftover yarn I had on hand to get a furry effect.


Apparently this first cryptid was a swamp ape, because he took off for Florida shortly after I listed him.

And here are the latest, new-and-improved sasquatches. I was fortunate enough to stumble across some specialty yarns--usually very expensive--at the local Goodwill. I almost didn't spring for the bag full of novelty yarn, but now I'm glad I did! You never know what will inspire you. Even these are still somewhat experimental--I'm working on getting the coned heads just right, among other things.



www.etsy.com/listing/501507164/amigurumi-bigfoot-baby-bigfoot-baby


www.etsy.com/listing/514978295/dark-grey-bigfoot-toilet-roll-cozy

www.etsy.com/listing/514991405/cute-brown-bigfoot-toilet-roll-cozy

www.etsy.com/listing/514988661/fuzzy-brown-bigfoot-toilet-roll-cozy

Over the weekend, I was attempting to watch television with my husband but was getting restless, not having a project to work on at the same time. Gotta keep those hands busy! I really didn't feel like making another bathroom cozy, so thought I'd fiddle around with a simple toy instead. Rather to my surprise, it turned out rather well. And here he is, my very sweet little yeti!






He's so soft and floppy! I'm quite enamored of him and tempted to keep him, but I'll get him listed in the shop tonight or tomorrow.










No comments :

Post a Comment