Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Monday, June 8, 2020

Gasp! She Diversifies!

How doth the little busy bee
Improve each shining hour
And gather honey all the day
From every opening flower?
~Isaac Watts (1674-1748)


Quick post today: I want to show you that I can actually make something besides a poodle cozy. It's not easy, mind you. No matter what my intentions when I begin a cozy, it generally morphs into a poodle before I'm very far into the process.

But recently, I branched out! Some gorgeous bright yellow yarn was beckoning, and after failing miserably endeavoring to make a chick, I cast about for another idea. Voila! A bee! 
I'll admit this was a second attempt. I got as far as this and was stymied, so the little fellow (no, little gal, now that I think about it from a scientific standpoint) sat perched on the shelf above my computer while I tried to figure out how to proceed, especially with the limited supplies I had on hand. She just didn't look complete. 

This state of affairs went on for a few weeks, until I had an epiphany over the weekend. Some yellow tulle netting, glitter, and sequins; some multi-colored tiny pompoms and chenille stems; my not-so-trusty glue gun... Suddenly she came into her own! I'm absolutely in love with her, though she is proving to be a challenge to photograph. Either the eyes have too much glare or the wings don't show up to advantage. But here she is: 




Let me know what you think. 

And while we're on the subject of bees, I hope you'll consider making a simple bee watering station to put out in your yard or on your porch. Honeybees are in a serious decline, and they need all the help we can give them. You can find lots of articles and videos online if you need inspiration, but they can be really simple--some pebbles and rocks in a dish of water that you replenish regularly on dry days. Your local bees will appreciate it; your butterflies, too! You'll be surprised at how often it's visited. It makes a neat nature project for kids, too. 



No comments :

Post a Comment