Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Monday, January 24, 2022

Upcycle Project: Refurbished Metal Tins

Quick share here today of a project I've been playing around with for a bit: upcycling some rather bland (ugly!) used tins. Some were tea tins I acquired for a quarter apiece at a garage sale just for this purpose, one had been a gift tin originally containing a wristwatch, one I grabbed at Goodwill because of its appealing shape, and one was an actual vintage Daher tin that was sort of nice, but I craved an improvement. (Well, MY idea of an improvement.) Without further ado, here's the first one. Daher "Fascination Face Powder" tin. Yes, it's vintage, but I see lots of these available and I don't think the Antiques Roadshow police are going to come after me for defacing this one. And I literally mean "defacing"! Here's what it looked like originally (not my photo, but one I plucked at random from the internet).
Nothing wrong with this tin, per se, but I had some vintage Meyercord decals I wanted to play with. Here's my "Must Love Dogs" version:
I had a little trouble with the old decal cracking and splitting; hence the spaniel's slightly mutant appearance, but with the addition of some fine iridescent glitter and my Posca paint pens, I minimized what I could and I'm relatively pleased with the result. I've since learned that if one applies a coat or two of clear spray paint on old decals, they're less likely to disintegrate when soaked in water for application. It's not a guarantee, but it does help. Here's an example: This tin was the dreary Fossil (?) watch tin. I spray-painted the lid (bit tricky, but you can manage it if you cover the bottom part surfaces with paper first) to cover up all the writing and logo stuff. Then I took my vintage deer decal, treated with two layers of clear spray paint, and applied it. It still split slightly, despite my efforts, but I'm pretending that just adds faux-vintage patina to my project. I also used a coat of spray adhesive and carefully sprinkled fine iridescent glitter to further disguise the flaw. Not a true fix, but I can live with it.
A gift of new vintage-design decals set me off on the tea canister project. These are really quite delightful! I understand they were ordered from Etsy, but I'm afraid I don't know which seller. First, I spray-painted the tins to give them pretty pastel backgrounds. The new decals went on like a charm! Here are some photos of my "new vintage" poodle tins:

No comments :

Post a Comment