Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Sunday, January 29, 2012

It's Raining, It's Pouring...

Well, that's nothing unusual--it's always raining here (or, as my late father-in-law used to say, "If you can see Mt. Hood, it's going to rain.  And if you can't see Mt. Hood, it is raining.")  But it's really pouring, as in Etsy business.  I just reopened the shops a bit over a week ago and I've had scads of orders!  It's terrific but it's also a challenge keeping up with the packaging and shipping without jettisoning time for sewing, knitting, etc.  Add a new granddaughter into the mix and I'm definitely busy.
 
This goofy pace caught up with me this week when I (finally!) got a chance to work on a batch of wedding favor bags I hope to sell--pretty little sacks of very dainty peach and pink flowered plisse. I spent a happy and productive afternoon cutting, ironing, and stitching away--only to realize afterward that I'd managed to sew the ribbon ties inside the bags--aaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!  I've got lots of ripping and repairing to do...drat.

My favorite partner in mayhem (my sister-in-law Claudia) and I did manage to slip away last Wednesday for our favorite pursuit, hitting the thrift and antique stores in Lewis County. We love to go junking and we love a day shopping without husbands in tow.  Imagine our surprise when the guys hopped in their own vehicle and surprised us as we were perusing the goodies at our favorite charity thrift store. We all got a good laugh out of it, and then they went their merry way. They'd got wind of some ham radio equipment they were interested in at one of the antique stores and they were off on the hunt.  I came home with a few choice fabric remnants and mohair yarn and a small herd of My Little Pony toys for my resident Brony. (He doesn't know it yet--I'll slip them into his collection for Valentine's Day.) I also found a lovely Vera pillowcase that I'm thinking of stretching on a wood frame and hanging on the wall. Or I may sell it.  Here's one of my finds, a nicely worked quilt top in lively bright colors...  To keep and turn into a small tablecloth, or to sell??
Spangle hat update:  Yesterday I wore one of my new spangle hats out in public for the first time.  I also carried a purse I'd made last summer of glorious vintage polished cotton and vintage plastic handles.  Both received compliments and I am jazzed!  Then, last night, I was wearing my hat outside and my husband remarked on the fascinating way the spangles were reflecting the light.  So now I have a new plan:  How about a black hat with black and silver spangles?  I could call it the"Queen of the Night Hat".  (I remember my daughter belting out that coloratura piece from the Magic Flute when she was about 9 or 10 years old. It was her favorite. Ah, ah, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, haaaaa...."  Anyway, here's the purse I mentioned.
Finally, I'll close with a quick picture of my latest crocheting endeavor.  I'm so excited to have finally graduated to lace patterns!  This is my first attempt with crochet thread and I'm making a drawstring bag for, perhaps, a bride or flower girl.  I'm going to line it with pretty satin, I think, when it's finished.
Okay, I've driven my vast reading public (quantity of 2) into a catatonic state by now with these descriptions of needlework, so I'll have mercy and sign off.  Best regards until next time!

No comments :

Post a Comment