Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Well, well... Here I am again...

After a few weeks off, I found I couldn't get my blogging account to let me back on and I had more or less given it up as a lost cause, but my computer-savvy daughter has done some troubleshooting for me and once again, I have access.  Rah, rah!

So I'm trying this endeavor again.  Brace yourselves!

For the past year or thereabouts, I've been selling vintage items on Etsy, and finding it--while fun--a very time consuming activity.  But one thing about Etsy:  You can't be involved with it for long before you find yourself getting inspired and motivated to be more creative. At least, I've found it so. The challenge is to find the time!  So I've given myself a long break from my Etsy shops and I'm rethinking my priorities.

One thing I've started doing is keeping a project journal.  If I do a bit of sewing or knitting or whatever, I jot down what I've worked on that day. I hope this will keep me more focused and motivated.  I've also set myself a goal of learning two or three new things each month related to my crafting interests.

I'm off to a good start thus far.  So far in January, I've taught myself to make the loop stitch so I can crochet those wonderfully tacky bangle hats from the sixties.  I also learned a lace crochet pattern, my first!  I was really proud of myself for sticking with that one because figuring out the instructions took a lot of trial and error and false starts. Who would have guessed there was a difference between the abbreviations "ch" and "ch-" and "sp" and "sp-"?!

So, here's a sneak peak at some of the things I've been making:
The Long Awaited Spangle Hats!  I've wanted one for decades...probably because my mother deemed them trashy when I was a kid.  A year ago I found a vintage spangle hat at Goodwill, and it's been fuel to the fire to learn how to make them.  Voila!!

A friend taught me to crochet Barbie dresses when I was about ten years old.  From that time to this, I haven't gone much beyond the basic single crochet, double crochet, or half-double crochet stitches.  It's fun to branch out!  And what a great way to use the beautiful wool fingering yarn I've had stored for years.

No comments :

Post a Comment