Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Gone Loopy

My favorite craze continues to be the crochet loop stitch.  It's so much fun to do!  Lately I've been looping all over the place, even when I have no idea what I'm turning out.  Here are the most recent examples:

I ADORE the pink, white, and aqua thing, even though it's a Mystery Project.  I see a lot of scarf-like things with buttons at the neck on Etsy lately, so maybe that's the thing to do with it.  On the other hand, I rather see this as the beginning of a nifty rug.

The red and white hat is rather "Where's Waldo?" looking, or maybe I'm thinking of the Cat in the Hat.  I've run out of red yarn, though, so this one is stalled. I'm thinking a red pom pom on top, and a knitted k2p2 ribbing. I prefer knitted ribbing on crocheted hats--it's more elastic.

A few weeks ago I looped some children's hats.  My little church friend Nellie was the reluctant model for this one:


Then Benita modeled this one:

Remember the stuffed toys I found at the garage sale?  I gave them both a good cleaning and repairing.




First, I had to unstuff them.  The Big Bad Wolf and scads of little bad styrofoam chunks inside--old and scary.  The Little Pig had a curious sort of wax-papery excelsior type stuffing.  It also had to go--can you imagine the allergens?  Probably now the Antiques Road Show police will track me down and read me the riot act about attempting to clean antique toys and thus destroying their value, but I'm unrepentant.
Here are the two emptied-out, grubby little cloth toys.

Next, they got a good soak with detergent and washing soda, and a bit of an extra scrub with Fels Naptha soap.

After a good bath, and ironing, and some restitching of weak spots, the two old friends are ready for fresh stuffing.


And here they are today!  Aren't they wonderful?  They still have some stains, but on the whole they're so much fresher and brighter now, and a bit more sturdy.  I will probably put them up for sale, but I've grown so fond of them, I may have to rethink that.
It is ever thus!

1 comment :

  1. Wow you did a great job restoring them!!
    they look brand new!

    ReplyDelete