Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Friday, June 8, 2012

He Did It Again! Friday Finds, June 8, 2012

An observation I hear frequently from wives is how oblivious their husbands can be to appearances.  For instance, my sister-in-law Claudia bought a new blonde hairpiece and wore it about for several hours and her husband never noticed.  That might not seem remarkable until you learn that her own hair is reddish brown. (Yes, she's planning on changing her color!)

I, myself, ought to have learned my lesson by now from similar experiences.  Once my husband and I went to do errands in town and it was only when we got back home and I glanced in the mirror that I realized I had a smudge of soot down my nose. At other times, I've been out and about wearing only one clip-on earring, because I'd taken the left one off to answer the phone and forgotten to put it back on again before heading for the car. Another time I'd dabbed on liquid foundation make-up but got distracted and hadn't completed smoothing it on.  And my husband lets me do this and says absolutely nothing. This is by no means an exhaustive list, but you get the idea.

Today, he and I went out for a brief circuit around the neighborhood in pursuit of garage sales and when we got home I saw, to my horror, that I had been out in public, conversing like a sane individual while wearing my chic baby blue rainhat all cocky-phooey with the lining sticking out like a stalagmite from beneath the hat band. It was worse than it sounds. My neighbors probably think I'm developing symptoms of Alzheimer's.  Oh, well.  At least it's not as bad as the woman I heard on the radio telling of the occasion when she arrived home from shopping only to discover that her dirty bra had gotten tangled in the loops of her fuzzy jacket and had been dangling down her back all afternoon. I shall praise God for small favors. At least things haven't gone that far.

Anyway...  On to the gems!  Actually, only a couple of these were items I snared today; others I'm sharing I was fortunate enough to find last Saturday at a rummage sale.



Today I nabbed two lovely balls of mostly wool yarn, made in France, for 50 cents apiece.  I'm thinking a lovely beret would be just the ticket with this pretty creamy yellow color.  The other item is this wonderful bright vintage doll quilt, handmade, for which I paid $1.

The purse and Canadian Mountie came from the rummage sale.  Can you believe I paid only $1.50 for the Mountie?  The family that sold it to me just thought of it as some of grandma's "old stuff" and were tickled to sell it to me at that price.  I'd have paid a lot more, frankly, it's so unusual.  I haven't had time to research it yet, but Claudia tells me she saw a similar figure for $80 on eBay.  The purse is amazing.  Lucite handles and a lucite base, plus beautiful beaded crochet work. If memory serves, I paid $5.00, but don't quote me on that--it was a long day and I've forgotten some of the prices.  This is in excellent condition, and will be the first like it in my collection.

Yesterday I did some loading of items on Etsy and my newest venture, Pinterest.  I had fun dashing out between showers to photograph this vase.  Here I was getting rather loopy and added Wickham's squeaky lizard to the set-up:





I didn't actually post these on Etsy, they were just for fun.  I would have, though, if I'd had room!

Speaking of Etsy, I wonder if other sellers are feeling like something off the Buried Alive: Hoarders program as they work to seek out wares for their shop.  I can buy faster than I can load, and I can load faster than I can sell, so it's beginning to look a little ominous around here. I may have to take a month or so off this summer so I can catch up on organizing and other tasks I've neglected.  Meanwhile, I have an order for birthday favor bags to get going on, a stint of jury duty (I can't believe I've been summoned again for the umpteenth time when I meet folks all the time who've never been called once) and a young man to get off to college out of state in about a month.

At least Peppy's nearly done with his stringent recovery period. I'm not sure which of us will be happier when he's finally allowed to cut loose and run in the yard instead of only being allowed out with full supervision and a leash. There are towhees in the bushes to startle, and the UPS truck to bark at, and renegade chickens to run out of the flowerbeds when they escape from their pen. It's a tough job, but Pep's willing and (almost!) ready to do it!


2 comments :

  1. Sounds like your having fun :)

    I know what you mean I buy stuff way faster than I can sell it...
    The only thing that seems to move fast enough that it actually needs restocked are the toys...and Im seriously having no luck anymore in the flea markets when it comes to finding toys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like you have to peruse a lot of dud garage sales to find the occasional trove of great stuff. My trouble with the vintage toys is, once I buy them, I want to keep them!

    ReplyDelete