Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Traditions: Kris Kringle


Does your family have a special Christmas tradition?

One of ours is Kris Kringle. I'm not talking about the movie Miracle on 34th Street or even referring to Santa Claus. I'm talking about a game. A good deed game. A "random acts of kindness" game that we were playing as a family long before those "random acts of kindness" became catchy words on a bumper sticker.

The concept is simple. Throughout December, leading up to Christmas, one attempts to do anonymous good deeds for fellow family members. For example, slipping a piece of wrapped candy into someone's coat pocket when they aren't looking. Or surreptiously making someone else's bed for them without their knowing it. Or taping a funny cartoon clipping to the dashboard of the car. You get the idea. Just doing something to please and surprise another person without their catching you in the act! It's lots of fun. My kids always got a big bang out of this

It only takes one person to start the practice, and before long, everyone is getting stealthily philanthropic. It's something I miss now that the kids are grown, though I did sneak a couple of pieces of See's candies into my husband's ham radio room for him to find last night.

Today I've been digging my sewing room out of chaos--a dreadful undertaking, but it's nice now it's done. Or more-or-less done. (I have seriously got to destash some fabric! And don't even mention the word yarn.)

Tomorrow is a big day. Our youngest is coming home from college on the east coast. We haven't seen him since July, so I'm very excited! I'm curious how the dogs will react to his return. I think they will go happily ballistic. Your prayers for his safe return are appreciated!

Do feel free to comment and tell about a favorite tradition in your family. I'd enjoy reading about it!

  

  

 

1 comment :

  1. When Kc, Heidi and I were little, we would get up in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve, sit by the Christmas tree, and look at all the presents and pretty , soft lights. Also, getting dressed up for Christmas morning! I loved that!
    I am going to do your random acts of kindness idea, I think the kids will really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete