Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Monday, December 10, 2012

Valentine's Doll Info, Anyone?

Earlier this year, I obtained an unusual doll at a garage sale, paying (if memory serves) $1.00 for her. I'd like you all to take a look at her and tell me what you think. As far as I can learn, she was made in the 1960s by Pamela Valentine. Later these dolls were remade by a company named Gorham, but in porcelain. Apparently these older ones are actually more collectible.

Here's a photo for you to examine:
Those of you who know my penchant for dogs will know the real reason I bought this doll--the poodle! It's quite amazing. But now I'm beginning to realize the doll itself is also of interest.

The poor doll is impregnated with dust. Ditto the poodle. In addition to the dust and grime of decades, the poodle has also been a veritable magnet for every stray hair and fiber floating in the air around it, and it's starting to shed tiny little flocking fibers of its own.


The original heart-shaped tag hands from the doll's right wrist. 


 

As you can see, the doll represents Eliza Doolittle of My Fair Lady. (Funny, I think she's more a Jean Harlow than an Audrey Hepburn!) Perhaps she predates the movie. She's definitely a shapely doll--not your usual androgynous-bodied small plastic doll.

Anyway, if anyone out there reading this can tell me more about this doll or pup, and especially the proper way go clean them, I'd be very grateful to hear from you.

No comments :

Post a Comment