Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

A Touch of Spring



March is a fairly pathetic month Spring-wise in my neck of the woods. It's still very gray and brown and leafless, but the days are longer and temperatures milder, I am hearing birds again and, the other day, I found this little clump of snowdrops blooming out in the middle of nowhere. I figure the bulbs were accidentally transplanted by my husband when he was doing some brush clearing work on the tractor. I've been out doing the proverbial Beverley Nichols' "tour" of the garden (and if you've never read his wonderfully witty books, you should!) and I see some daylily and iris plants sprouting, and even a few daffodils the heavy rains and moles haven't managed to destroy. 

You don't have to be a gardener to love Beverley Nichols' books, though you'll enjoy them more if you are. If you love good, dry British humor, you will have a smashing time reading these!

 Today, though, I wanted to share an unabashed self-promoting plug for some terrific vintage fabric I just listed on eBay. I don't expect this to achieve the Big Kahuna results of the barkcloth I told you about yesterday, but I hope it will sell at a respectable profit:



Isn't it terrific? It's everything I love in a fabric--wonderful, happy graphics, bright colors, 100% cotton. 

I found this fabric as a set of curtains at a local charity thrift shop a month or so ago. I decided to keep one of the panels myself and attempt to sell the other. It was a tough decision, but I really must reduce my fabric stash. And anyway, if I sell a piece, I can use the money to buy another! I'm thinking what a nice little girl's jumper this would make, and I'm looking for a simple vintage pattern. Imagine this print with a red turtleneck and red tights.


 

I've got a few similar patterns scoped out on Etsy. I'm looking for one with the right size (2 or 3) with a nice neckline (as this one has) but I think with less overall fullness in the skirt. 

Well, I had better sign off for now and get to work. I  have a custom order for 150 wedding favor bags! I'll tell you more about it next time. 










1 comment :

  1. Spring! my favorite time of year besides fall.
    Daffodils are out and they happen to be my favorite flower :) I just wish they lasted longer.

    I love the retro fabric!!
    It would make a lovely pillow or a change purse..If you made a change purse out of it Id buy it.


    ReplyDelete