Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Strictly for the Birds?






 Some of more my intrepid readers may remember last summer's post where I mentioned finding this framed piece of 1930s barkcloth at a church rummage sale for $2. 

I am delighted to report that I sold it (without the frame) on eBay over the weekend for a profit. I set the starting price at 99 cents, and in a few days the bidding was up to roughly $21.00. On the final day of the auction it had gone up to $27.99! I was amazed and pleased, as I would have been more than happy with even the $21. 

Off I went to do some sewing, and when I finished a couple of hours later, I clicked on my e-mail and was staggered to see the notice reading Your Item Has Sold for $159.79.  Never in my wildest, wildest dreams could I have foreseen this. Major WOW!

Once again, proof positive that junking (thrifting, garage sale-ing, flea marketing, or what-have-you) is not strictly for the birds. Cheap thrills, cheap thrills! Cheep. Cheep.

Speaking of junking, the season is off to a cautious beginning. As the frail sunshine slips out from behind the interminable cloud cover, the garage sale/yard sale signs are beginning to appear. So far the pickings have been sparse to none, but I have acquired a few goodies at thrift shops as people have started to clean out their closets and donate the overflow.

Most notably, I came across this interesting metal jewelry box, for which I paid $3.99. 

 

 

It's super heavy for its small size, and the exterior looks like sterling silver. I'm going to take it to my local jeweler to ask  him to test the metal for me. But meanwhile, I've been hunting high and low via the web for identifying information. I've only found two others like it. This one got me quite excited:

http://www.rubylane.com/item/594272-MT387/Antique-Miniature-French-Louis-XV 

My box is identical in design. The question is, was it made in France, like the one in the link? I hope to find out.

I've certainly been remiss in keeping up with this blog of late, for which I apologize. I shall endeavor to log on more often this week. A few short entries, at least. I do have a new nonsensical project about ready to unveil...!

  

1 comment :