Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Friday, May 3, 2013

Farewell to an Old Friend

I regret to announce the passing of a dear friend. 

Big Tree was taken down late this morning after gladdening the hearts of my family for more than three decades. This wasn't just a big tree, this was Big Tree. It had a name. A douglas fir of indeterminate years (I haven't counted the rings in the stump yet), Big Tree has been a true friend. 

Big Tree sprouted from a stump left over from the famed Yacolt Burn http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacolt_Burn of 1902. Over the years, the nurse tree from which it grew began to decay until our proud old friend was virtually perched on bare roots as if on a tripod. In a matter of time, a wind storm would have taken the tree crashing down, blocking our lane and probably smashing the shop building. Worse still, someone could have been injured. It was time to call in a professional to perform the sad but necessary task of cutting it down. 





Many happy hours have been spent by my kids playing under this fine tree. It's been a blessing, and we will all miss it. Its wood will warm our house for the next few winters, but the memory of Big Tree will warm our hearts for a lifetime.


R. I.P., Big Tree
For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.
Isaiah 55:22

2 comments :

  1. That makes me sad :( I love trees and Big Tree looked so beautiful! ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband counted the rings and the tree was 54 years old. It's too bad, but at least we have lots of others. And the air is smelling wonderful with the piney scent.

    ReplyDelete