Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Monday, May 20, 2013

I've Declared a Holiday!

It's "Housework Phooey" Day!
Ta-rah-rah-BOOM-de-ay!
I shall go out and play!
It's HOUSEWORK PHOOEY DAY!!


A cool, wet weekend has given way to sunshiny warmth, and I am not going to waste one iota of it doing silly housework. I've been out planting my newly arrived daylilies with great joy and glee, sweet-talking them and heralding great things for their future.

I've got to show you the freebies the different companies sent!

Remember a few posts ago I showed you some of the daylilies I found and purchased from Etsy sellers? You don't? Well, I shall refresh your memory:

Anyway, not only did my Phil Reilly (Etsy) daylilies arrive Friday, but also my order from an old favorite firm, Oakes Daylilies. AND, they came with wonderful free daylies as thank-you gifts! I am so jazzed!

First let me tell you about the Phil Reilly order. I had splurged and purchased a newer introduction daylily called Gwendolyn Rose. The fans (as they're called) are huge, very healthy and vigorous and so generously portioned that I actually ended up with a large one to pull away from the main plant to start an extra clump. To my happiness, the seller also included this fabulous and unusual variety as a bonus:


EARLYBIRD CARDINAL
Earlybird Cardinal

Isn't it fabulous? I'm very excited to see this one bloom. I don't have anything else like it. Kudos to Phil Reilly! By the way, I also found out Mr. Reilly has a great video on youtube:

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abIFbfHp7m0

I tried to get the link to load up, but couldn't, so you'll have to cut and paste if you want to see it.

All righty! Now for the Oakes Daylilies report. This is a company I've patronized for about three or four years now, and I've had very good experiences with each order. This year I ordered two varieties, Frances Joiner, and Earlybird Cardinal.

FRANCES JOINER
Frances Joiner
Frances Joiner I had to have because of its breathtaking pinky-orange glow. These are pricey; I only ordered one. The Earlybird Cardinal I chose for its reported long-bloom period. To quote from the catalog,
 Acclaimed as a breakthrough in reblooming reds, Earlybird Cardinal is among the earliest to bloom, and can rebloom up to 4 times a year, showing 100 days of color or more. Forms an attractive clump covered with plentiful watermelon red flowers. 

Believe me, around here with my short growing season, I need all the workhorse flowers I can get! I bought three of these plants, and each portion had several fans, so I spread them out a bit along my front sidewalk.  

For bonus plants, Oakes sent some real beauties, one of which is fragrant! This is a neat company because they will take into consideration your preferences when sending free plants. Here are the lovelies I received:

WOODSIDE ROMANCE "Woodside Romance"
http://www.oakesdaylilies.com/categories/daylilies/products/2487-woodside-romance 

    PRESTER JOHN "Prester John" 
http://www.oakesdaylilies.com/categories/daylilies/products/3175-prester-john

I did report in a previous post that my "Kwanso" daylily order from ArborFieldPlants (Etsy) was also a great success and that company, too, has my enthusiastic endorsement.

http://redletterdaybags.blogspot.com/2013/05/yahoo-back-in-game-again.html

Okay, enough on the computer! I'm back out to do yard work and photograph new Etsy items. Thanks for your interest and your comments! 

1 comment :

  1. Beautiful!
    this is the best time of year..who can clean with weather like this?

    ReplyDelete