Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Jewelry and Accessory Finds

My latest assault on rummage sales and thrift shops yielded some very pleasing finds, especially in the area of jewelry.

Lately I've been drawn to the enameled floral brooches of the sixties and seventies, and I'm happy to have found these.






Neither is a signed piece, though that doesn't surprise me. I'm not sure many of these types of flowers are signed, though I did acquire a white Sarah Coventry enamel flower brooch recently. Both of these brooches are large, about 3" to 3 1/4" across.

More fun than these were the two little figural brooches I obtained:




My special favorite is the plastic blue deer, and I may decide to keep him. The rabbit is a kick; he has such an annoyed expression! There is no identifying mark on the rabbit, but the deer wears a metal tag which looks like a tiny holy medal on one side, and bears on the back an insignia of a cross atop the letter "M", surrounded by tiny stars. I'm assuming this refers to Mary, the mother of Jesus. I've never run across a pin wearing its own jewelry before!

I was very pleased to find a pretty beaded drawstring bag for $2.00 at a flea market. (I suspect it would have been more if it had been the wife doing the selling instead of the husband!) 


Close-up detail of the beading.  
 
 And now for a bit of presto-chango: The bag is reversible!


Clear and white beads embellish the reverse side.
In my next post, I'll show you the fun vintage plastic items from the sale.

Last night I put together a treasury to promote the BNS ("Buy and Sell") I'm participating in on Etsy. I decided to try my hand at one of those filmy white jobs this time. I'm not overly enamored of them, but they do seem to be all the rage on Etsy. If you want to get a kazillion clicks, you seem to have to make one of these treasuries, though. One of these days I'll have to do a post about these treasuries, and it won't be complimentary! 

Meanwhile, here's my "artsy" effort, such as it is. I couldn't quite bring myself to go whole hog. Check it out if you can, click a few favorites, go to the BNS link, and pass it along...  

   www.etsy.com/treasury/MTUzNDcxMDN8MjcyNDQ3MTEwOA/gentle-thoughts-and-mild

  


 

1 comment :

  1. I love the rabbit brooch!
    let me know when you put him up for sale I love him :)

    ReplyDelete