Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Vintage Church and Bible Postcards



Yesterday I promised to share some of my favorite church and Bible-related vintage postcards, a genre I find particularly fascinating. 

My sister-in-law Claudia gave me my introduction to these beautiful and interesting cards when she presented me with these:


 

Aren't they lovely? Even when worn and tattered, they have such appeal. I wonder how they came to be? Were they, perhaps, given out as prizes for faithful Sunday School attendance or Bible verse memorization? They're not, perhaps, truly "postcards" in the sense that they may have been printed for handing out rather than mailing--I'm not sure. These have been salvaged from a scrapbook, so it's not clear what was originally on the back. It may be more accurate to class them as trading cards.

Others of this type are holiday and birthday greeting cards. Some have Bible verses and some don't, but they all have wonderful artwork.

Antique Easter Postcards  Eight  Postcards in Listing
www.etsy.com/listing/152273350/antique-easter-postcards-eight-postcards
Terrific vintage Easter postcards from Etsy shop SalvageNation.

Antique Christmas Postcards - Holly Xmas Greetings Vintage Embossed Paper Ephemera
www.etsy.com/listing/106058792/antique-christmas-postcards-holly-xmas


You can have an instant collection! These beautiful Christmas postcards are on sale at AlluringAntiques on Etsy.



JULY 4TH HOLIDAY Vintage Embossed and Gilded Postcard, Used & Stamped, 1910s, j. Marks
www.etsy.com/listing/154605362/july-4th-holiday-vintage-embossed-and

This 4th of July card is for sale in Chantal's shop (I featured her Etsy shop yesterday), AgnesOfBohemia.

3 Fuzzy Kitty Cats in a Basket - Vintage Birthday Postcard - Gold Trim - Germany - 1911
www.etsy.com/listing/150198999/3-fuzzy-kitty-cats-in-a-basket-vintage


This sweet card is available at DebsAtticFinds on Etsy.


Now let me share a few more vintage Sunday School postcards from my own collection:








Most of these were gifts from my pastor, who has served in the same little country church for more than 40 years. He found a boxful of unused cards in storage, and generously offered them to anyone who was interested. Aren't they terrific?

If any of these whet your appetite for vintage postcard collecting, you can get lots of excellent information from a blog I just encountered yesterday:

http://www.paperfizz.com/ 


It's plain I've merely dipped my proverbial toe in the water (or is it my toe in the proverbial water?!) when it comes to vintage postcards, but this gentleman is an expert! He also has a fun Etsy store with a name I can really love, Mud in the USA. Can you tell he's from the rainy Pacific Northwest? 

Now I'm off to my sewing machine, and I'll have something productive to show you later today or tomorrow. AND I just got an order from Tiny Things Are Cute and I can't wait to show you the gems! Do pop back soon so you can see. Meanwhile, go check out the shop. If you love vintage absurdities and plastic as much as I do, you will be drooling.

http://tinythingsarecute.com/






2 comments :

  1. What a wonderful collection of cards! Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did your order from tiny things are cute?!? I cant wait to see

    ReplyDelete