Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Friday, July 19, 2013

Fabric Stashing, The Sheer Trash Roadshow Way

Vintage Italian Inlaid Wood / Marquetry Serving Tray with Brass Rim & Handles
Isn't this a handsome tray? I've often seen them in antique stores, but hadn't paid them that much attention. Then, at one of last week's rummage sales, I found this one and, as it was only $1.00,  I brought it home. 

Yesterday I finally got around to some cursory research about this type of tray, and--wow! I got quite a pleasant surprise! Take a look at some of these Etsy listings from other sellers:

Vintage Italian Inlaid Wood and Brass Tray
www.etsy.com/listing/129255967/vintage-italian-inlaid-wood-and-brass
Large Marquetry Inlaid Wood & Brass Serving Tray with Flowers
www.etsy.com/listing/153688098/large-marquetry-inlaid-wood-brass

SALE 15% OFF..Magnificent Wood Inlay "MARQUETRY" Wood Tray German..Vanity Tray..Exceptional
www.etsy.com/listing/98342938/sale-15-offmagnificent-wood-inlay
It's interesting to see the different shapes and styles of these beautiful trays--but even more interesting to me were the prices! These three are all in the $40 - $65 range. Wow, wow, wow! Not a bad investment for my measly buck. (Please be nice and check out these Etsy shops--they have great stuff and would welcome your interest.)
 
Okay... I did promise you I'd show you some of the wonderful fabric finds I acquired last week, and here it's been several days and I still haven't managed to do that yet. Instead I'm off on another goose chase and showing you marquetry trays. Enough digression--off to the fabric!



First, here are two lovely cotton flannel remnants. The lower one is definitely vintage; I'm not sure about the top one. The daisies look more vintage than new, but I could be wrong. Anyway, cute!! 

Lots of lovely lace fabric were acquired for 25 cents apiece. Dig the gold one!! Love it, and can make lots of cool, quick bags for packaging the items I sell in the Etsy shops. I like to make them look nice.


Next we have this--sigh!!!--wonderful sheer flocked fabric. Organdy? Organza? I can't remember. I do know I have never seen a piece of pink flocked fabric I didn't instantly love. One of these days I'll have to show you all the different flocked sheer fabrics I've stashed away. The idea is to make party dresses for little girls. So far I've been too busy doing silly things like blogging to do any sewing but I have hopes of eventual reform. This exquisite find cost me 25 cents.

I actually paid an exorbitant price for this 1 1/2 yard remnant--exorbitant by garage sale standards, that is. For me, anyway. I think I paid $1.59. It looks like dimity, but it doesn't really have any raised ribs--it just looks that way. I especially like the combination of blue and red roses together. A bit unusual. This is vintage cotton.

Someone did a stellar job designing and embroidering this nifty piece of fabric. I think it was meant for framing, but for some reason it never happened. It was tagged at both 10 cents and 25 cents, so I couldn't tell you which price I actually paid (I had a big stack and wasn't paying attention during the tallying up) but either way, it was a whopping value! I'll  have to think about this piece...  to sell it? Make it into a pillow? Frame it? 

Vintage patterns for ten cents apiece...  And you seriously thought I'd walk away from them? Hah! I remember when little girls had pretty little dresses and wore them to school. Heck, I remember when I was one of those little girls wearing pretty dresses to school! And the thrill of an actual party dress! And yes, we did wear them to parties, complete with full, frilly petticoats--and had fun doing it!

Well, I've got to sign off. I did find more fabric than this, but it's Friday, and there's an estate sale advertised just up the road... No doubt there are garage sales springing up willy-nilly as well.

Later today it's another Red Cross blood drive. I'm working on my 4th gallon. This is a critical time of year for blood donations, so if you have an opportunity to give, I hope you'll do so. It's really no big deal--I promise! You can find a donation center near you by going to this link:

http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation

 

No comments :

Post a Comment