Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Let the BLITZ Begin--The Sheer Trash Road Show EXTRAVAGANZA WEEK!

It's been a stellar two days of junking and I've got more stuff to show you than I can possibly share in one fell swoop. Take two small towns, two annual celebrations, add the accompanying garage sales and rummage sales... Well, it's a good thing you can't see my kitchen table right this moment. It's stacked with glorious vintage loot! I thought I had a lot last night when I staggered home (and, of course, I did) but then this morning on a quick dash to the store and post office, Husband and I wheeled in to a lone garage sale and it was like hitting the mother lode on a small scale. Let me show you what $5.50 brought home:

 Hey, stop sniggering! I don't call this feature The Sheer Trash Roadshow for nothing!

Seriously, though, I was over the moon to find 6 full packages of vintage invitations and baby announcement cards (I got 2 packages of the blue party invitation cards), a big bag of wooden spools, a wonderful glass cookie jar for 50 cents, a vintage postcard album, a framed feather bird picture, a sweet old children's prayer book, and the cute orange duck. I doubt the duck is actually vintage, but he is so cute and reminds me of a little book, The Story of Ping. Plus he will look delightful in my living room, which has splashes of orange for accent. 

There's a lot here for both my Etsy shops, and things I can keep and use myself.  Here are a couple of close-ups:

Aren't these baby boy announcement cards exquisite? 1950s? 1940s?

I love this cookie jar! It's much brighter than it shows up here. So is the feather picture. It's got an informative label on the back entitled "The Story of Mexican Feathercraft".  It'll go into the MyPalPeppy to help raise funds for Displaced Pets Rescue, re-homing small dogs in the Pacific Northwest.
Ping makes a good photo prop, doesn't he? I'm pleased to have found this empty postcard album, as my own collection is growing and I've been casting about for a good way to save and display my cards.  Chantal of Etsy's AgnesofBohemia tells me she's found a box of religious/Sunday School postcards so I can expect to add more soon! Check out  her shop: AgnesofBohemia.etsy.com.

The little Happy Day prayer book, Saying Thank You Makes Me Happy, is a small treasure! The illustrations by Frances Hook are delightful. The text was written by Wanda Hayes, and it's a wonderful book I hope to share with visiting grandchildren some day. Such a simple concept--showing God gratitude--it's too bad it's largely gone by the wayside today. This was published in 1962.

Well, there's lots more to come over the next few days, so if you'd like to do a bit of virtual garage-sale shopping with me, I hope you'll come back. I'll be loading lots of new items into the shops, too, so please stop by and browse a bit:

melmacparadise.etsy.com
mypalpeppy.etsy.com

No comments :

Post a Comment