Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Friday, September 20, 2013

Out Junking...Sheer Trash Roadshow, September 20

Claudia and I managed a few hours' worth of treasure hunting yesterday and, despite the fast-dwindling garage sales, I did manage to come home with some good stuff. 

Mostly, these came from thrift shops; two Goodwill stores, and an independent shop. Let me show you some of what I snared:


Isn't that a great cowboy art print? It's one of those lithographed textured cardboard prints that were so popular back in the 1960s. I remember my mom getting them as premiums from the grocery store--precursor of those annoying "club cards" we all have to carry and use now if we don't want to be held for ransom at the cash register. Oops, we don't have actual cash registers anymore either--at the card-swipe doohicky, then.  Actually, I found two of these--you can see the smaller one as well, also featuring horses. These were on a 50% off sale, so I paid $1 for one and 50 cents for the other. 

On the far left, you can see a darling yellow plastic coin bank. He'll be perfect for Peppy's shop, and I paid $1.00 for him at the same shop. I figure if he doesn't sell, I'll be happy to keep him. The textured upholstery fabric below I also picked up there--I doubt they charged me a quarter for it, and I'm thinking I'll use it to make a purse. I've got lots of hardware left for purse-making. I haven't done one for quite a while, but Christmas will be here all too soon. I suppose I should get cracking. Or should I say creaking?

The Goodwill yielded the vintage honey pot (which I'm annoyed to report I dropped as soon as I completed taking this photograph--grrrrr! The lid broke, so I'll have to think of a clever way to repurpose the base.) It cost $2.99. One of the bonuses, though, was the tiny spoon included with the pot--not original to it--take a look:



I need to do a little research into this item. The tarnish tells me there's some actual silver here--plated, I guess. I know I've had other Wm. A. Rogers silver stuff in the past, and it's collectible. Anyway, I guess this little freebie makes up for my breaking the ceramic lid. Sort of. I'm still annoyed with myself!

I was jazzed to find the flow-glaze lidded ceramic turkey at Goodwill for $3.99. I have this other practically matching one for sale in Peppy's shop right now:

Speckled Flow Glaze Turkey Planter Centerpiece Candy Dish
https://img0.etsystatic.com/024/0/6387229/il_570xN.487332366_nd3v.jpg
This would make a great set! Very seventies, early eighties with this glaze. 

I got some great paper ephemera at the independent shop--these few religious cards are just a small example of a stack of goodies for which I paid $1. I'll show you more of them next time.

Next is my darling, darling redware duck teapot!!! What a thrill to find this. I splurged, even though it has a broken piece on the lid, because it's just so fantastic! Goodwill had it priced at $7.99. That was my biggest expenditure of the day. I'll probably keep this--at least for a while. I hadn't intended it, but I've managed to acquire a handful of redware pieces, all animal-themed, and their appeal is growing on me.

You probably can't see the tiny owls very well in the group photo, so let me get a quick one of them right now for a close-up:

I got "had" slightly here, discovering after getting home that one has a broken tip to its ear. Also, there's a tiny hole in the bag, so apparently some stinker sneaked one of the owls out of the package and shoplifted it. I didn't notice the "set of 3" on the label or I might have been able to get this for less than the $1.99 I paid for it. If you find tiny creatures like these, especially with nice glaze like these have, you can usually resell them quite easily. When I first opened my Etsy shop I sold several of these to a buyer in Europe. I think I'll keep the one with the broken ear and add him to a Christmas display I'm thinking of making. I can jam him up close to a bit of greenery and the missing tip won't be an issue then.

The last goodie to show you today is one of these hokey, hokey sixties Christmas crafts made of a folded magazine and lots of gold spray paint and lace and velvet embellishments. I think I have instructions for making these in some of my old craft magazines. If I find one that's not too long, I'll post the instructions in case someone wants to give it a whirl. It would be fun to do with older kids. Though I don't know where you'd get a doll head like this one nowadays--isn't her face sweet? Someone put a lot of work into this decoration.

I did get more stuff I'll tell you about soon. But today I'm anxious to get back to sewing my angora kitten! A bag of lovely wool stuffing arrived this morning, and time's a-wastin'!

 





 



 

No comments :

Post a Comment