Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Relatively Sane



"Let him rave on, that men may know him mad."

I seem to have beset by far more than my reasonable share of family lunacy of late. Fortunately laughter eventually intervenes and dispels the aggravation. In my household, the trigger for this is often a well-timed quote from a favorite film. My husband reminded me of that Yul Brynner "Ramses" line from The Ten Commandments this morning, and then I recalled the classic veiled insult to Elmira Gulch in The Wizard of Oz.


"Elmira Gulch...for 23 years I've been dying to tell you I think of you,
and now, well--being a Christian woman--I can't say it!

Suffice it to say, good humor has been restored. 

I had a big boost in that direction yesterday when the most extraordinary thing happened! Remember this red sweater I mentioned in a previous post? Well, I went ahead and ordered it from Etsy shop VintagefromVermont.



It arrived yesterday, and guess what? This amazing seller sent me...

TWO MORE GORGEOUS VINTAGE HANDKNIT SWEATERS AS A GIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's so fabulous! I've gotten nice extras from Etsians before, but nothing like this. I'm staggered at this display of generosity and thoughtfulness, and it is so appreciated. It's cheered me up no end to be reminded that there are lovely people in the world who more than make up for the spiteful ones.

So now, without further ado, let me show you these treasures!!


This toddler's Aran cardigan has been skillfully "Handknit by Nana" in a seafoam blue-green worsted-weight wool sometime 20 years ago or more. The wonderful pattern is continued on the back of the sweater as well. Someone sure had a terrific grandma! I can see my own granddaughter getting a lot of use from this right away.

Now for the second sweater:





Isn't this extraordinary? This beauty is a bit larger, so will be stored away lovingly until needed. It's made of a lighter weight yarn, wool or a wool blend, I should think. This one is also a handknit. Can you imagine the work and time to make a sweater like this, and what it would cost to buy one like this now? Wow!

Both the sweaters need a tiny bit of attention--the blue one has a missing button, and the cream colored one a light stain, but nothing a careful handwashing shouldn't take care of. When I contacted the seller to express my delight, she graciously responded:

"Goodie - that was fun. I have so much inventory here and no time to list. And they each had fixable flaws that I knew I wouldn't "get round to."

(I can sure relate to that problem, by the way! I need several uninterrupted days to list all the stuff I've got waiting in the wings to go into the shops. Like that's going to happen!)

Anyway, kindness like this deserves to be applauded. I hope you'll all visit Amanda's shop. Here are some items I admire that she has for sale currently:

Vintage Reverse Carved Brooch with Terrier Free Ship
www.etsy.com/listing/177166848/vintage-reverse-carved-brooch-with
 I'm always drawn to dog jewelry, no matter what the breed.

Sparkly Vintage 60s Rhinestone Earrings
www.etsy.com/listing/174319532/sparkly-vintage-60s-rhinestone-earrings
 


Great price on those earrings, by the way! 
They'd be stunning for wearing to a spring wedding.



Pretty and Unusual Vintage Floral Bone China Brooch Made in England
www.etsy.com/listing/172275694/pretty-and-unusual-vintage-floral-bone

This brooch would really dispel winter gloom!
All righty...  Time for me to sign off and get cracking on things to do around here. I do want to show you some cool vintage toys shortly. I'll try to get that post up later today or tomorrow. See you then!

***********************

Oh, dear! My husband just came in from his daily post office run to report an estate sale he spotted locally....
Phooey on the housework!!!!!!!!!!!!!





 


No comments :

Post a Comment