Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Hoping for a Quiet Needlework Day




https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1911888_617428321664282_1882925681_n.jpg


Yesterday I finished knitting the skirt I started back during the Olympics. The first piece I finished in a matter of hours but I lagged on the second. Anyway, it's now ready for blocking and sewing. Yahoo!

Now I'm left contemplating the kind of cardigan I want to pair with it. I'm finding, though, that it's jolly difficult to find a proper, classic little girl's cardigan these days. Etsy to the rescue, naturally! I've found some delightful vintage classics, like these, which would look terrific with the slate grey skirt:
 
Girls White  Sweater with Red Roses size 3
www.etsy.com/listing/84527945/girls-white-sweater-with-red-roses-size

Vintage Red Hand Knit Child's Cardigan Sweater Free Ship
www.etsy.com/listing/174984894/vintage-red-hand-knit-childs-cardigan

Adorable hand knit child's cardigan sweater with elephant design
www.etsy.com/listing/177593084/adorable-hand-knit-childs-cardigan
Then, I found ItsAllAboutKnitting, a shop offering beautifully-made new sweaters, and I've fallen in love with the seller's work:
 
Handknit petal cardigan in shimmery snowy white knit with wool-ease yarn for girl size 3 - 4
www.etsy.com/listing/89050582/handknit-petal-cardigan-in-shimmery

I adore this eyelet sweater, and it would be perfect. If I can persuade my daughter-in-law to actually dress my granddaughter in it and if I can persuade her to launder it correctly. More easily said than done. In her case, I'm probably better off choosing one of the vintage cardigans.

It might be safer to go with a colorful sweater like this one, also from ItsAllAboutKnitting, which will bear up better than one in pristine white:
 
Handknit cardigan with self-striping yarn, crochet flower and vintage buttons size 2 - 4
www.etsy.com/listing/123651729/handknit-cardigan-with-self-striping
This one looks like so much fun to knit I contacted the seller and she very graciously told me about the pattern, which was designed by the inimitable master knitter, Elizabeth Zimmermann. I did some research and found the pattern is available now with all sorts of size variations, from infant to adult. I can't wait to make one! It's supposed to be super easy, and is made all in one piece. Thank you so much for sharing that info, Janet!

In the meantime, I've got a new project cast on. It's going to be my own design, and if it goes well I'll present it here for your inspection. I haven't designed a proper knitting project in a long time, so this is a bit scary. I'll keep you informed, and meanwhile, feel free to hound me so I don't get sidetracked and neglect to finish what I've started.

Oh--nearly forgot! Made this spring treasury this morning. I hope you'll click the link and leave a comment!


* http://sheertrashroadshow.blogspot.com/2013/07/small-satisfactions.html

No comments :

Post a Comment