Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Today I Made...

Edith Evans from the 1952 movie, The Importance of Being Earnest

Yes, yes, a handbag! 

Even though it was my first full day home since my trip to South Carolina and I've lots to unpack and the housework to tackle, I promised myself the indulgence an afternoon of sewing. Not only did I embark on a handbag, but I cut out and ironed on the fusible-fleece parts of three purses. One of them I nearly finished, too, but I discovered I'd run out of Gutermann's glue for the frame. But at least the sewing bit is done, and I had a delightful time working on it. Here's what it looks like so far:


I've had this wonderful lace-overlay cotton fabric remnant stashed away for a few years now, just waiting for a worthy project. It sings "springtime", doesn't it? 

Now you simply must see the lining! 



I chose a lively bit of green gingham to continue to spring theme, and this time (unlike my most recent purse lining experiment) I got the gathered lining pocket attached to my complete satisfaction, and then trimmed it with rick-rack. (Oh, frabjous day! Callooh, Callay! she chorted in her joy.)

In order to combat frustration, I sewed the lining before tackling the exterior of the bag to keep me from getting too hurried. This tactic worked admirably, and I actually found myself enjoying making the lining instead of finding it tedious, as I usually do. 

I can hardly wait to get back to sewing again tomorrow. More handbags,  yes--but something in a completely different vein, especially for cat-lovers this time. 

Do pop back in for a look! 


No comments :

Post a Comment