Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

A Fable by Iron Eyes Cody





Vintage "Keep America Beautiful" Commercial featuring Iron Eyes Cody


[I copied this article out years ago from Guideposts magazine, the July 1988 issue. I do not own the rights to this story; I merely share it with you because its message has spoken to me on many levels and in many different circumstances through the years. Perhaps it will bless you as it has me.]

Many years ago, Indian youths would go away in solitude to prepare for manhood. One such youth hiked into a beautiful valley, green with trees, bright with flowers. There he fasted. But on the third day, as he looked up at the surrounding mountains, he noticed one tall rugged peak, capped with dazzling snow.

"I will test myself against that mountain," he thought. He put on his buffalo-hide shirt, threw his blanket over his shoulders and set off to climb the peak.


http://terribleperfect.typepad.com/.a/6a01156f7e792e970c0115715e1edb970c-800wi








When he reached the top he stood on the rim of the world. He could see forever, and his heart swelled with pride. Then he heard a rustle at his feet, and looking down, he saw a snake. Before he could move, the snake spoke:


"I am about to die," said the snake. "It is too cold for me up here and I am freezing. There is no food and I am starving. Put me under your shirt and take me down to the valley."

http://wapitisriversedge.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/rattlesnake-july-3_2008-ricks-cove-005.jpg




"No," said the youth. "I am forewarned. I know your kind. You are a rattlesnake. If I pick you up, you will bite, and your bite will kill me."

"Not so," said the snake. "I will treat you differently. If you do this for me, you will be special. I will not harm you."

The youth resisted awhile, but this was a very persuasive snake with beautiful markings. At last the youth tucked it under his shirt and carried it down to the valley. There he laid it gently on the grass, when suddenly the snake coiled, rattled and leapt, biting him on the leg.

"But you promised--" cried the youth.

"You knew what I was when you picked me up," said the snake as it slithered away.

And now, wherever I go, I tell that story. I tell it especially to the young people of this nation who might be tempted by drugs. I want them to remember the words of the snake:

"You knew what I was when you picked me up." 
                                                                        
                                                                                        --Iron Eyes Cody
















































No comments :

Post a Comment