Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Monday, September 15, 2014

A Little Gingham Dress



The little dress I made for my granddaughter's first birthday.

A few posts ago I mentioned completing a little dress I sewed for my younger granddaughter's birthday, and promised to show it to you.

Although I attended the required "Home Ec" courses like probably all girls in the early 1970s did, and made a lot of my own clothes during high school, I've let proper sewing (you know, buttonholes, zippers, darts, and such) go the way of the dodo bird for years now and I'm only just now getting back to it. 

This little smock dress is from a vintage pattern and is made of vintage flowered gingham fabric. The lovely little nautilus applique is was made by Elena of GoldenLucyCrafts on Etsy:


Crochet Sea Shells Applique
www.etsy.com/listing/86785845/crochet-sea-shells-applique


Little girls wore their dresses much shorter in the fifties and sixties, and while they were feminine and often frilly, they had a special charm and simplicity I find sadly missing in today's bohemian mish-mash of clashing prints and rockabilly ruffles. Give me a simple jumper with tights or knee socks any day!


https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5548608/il_fullxfull.319461089.jpg



by Amy, www.positivelysplendid.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/girls-thanksgiving-outfit.jpg
I know modern moms and their little girls really like these fun styles, and they are fun, but in a costume-y "Daisy Mae" hillbilly manner, at least to me

I still much prefer outfits like these, very simple, classic, and uncluttered:



I'm excited by my recent success to do more sewing. If I can do it, anyone can. Just don't look too closely at the details!

Next time I'll show you a few lovely photos of vintage little girl party dresses and the wonderful flocked fabrics with which they were made. 

If you're wanting some wonderful appliques, do check out Elena's shop! She has many bright, happy original pattern designs to choose from, as well as finished appliques.
Small Maple Leaves Crochet Pattern
www.etsy.com/listing/161785668/small-maple-leaves-crochet-pattern


Crocheted Tulip with Stem and Leaf, Flower, Applique
www.etsy.com/listing/184010699/crocheted-tulip-with-stem-and-leaf


No comments :

Post a Comment