Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Just a Thought

https://www.etsy.com/treasury/MTUzNDcxMDN8MjcyNjc0MjcxMA/give-twice-gifts-with-heart





It occurs to me that the corporate holiday shopping season, with all its incumbent "You need to buy this now!" imperiousness, is beginning to rear its greedy head. So I thought I'd give a plug for some more wholesome gift-giving alternatives that you won't find in your local mega department store--gifts that "give back", and also that support small businesses and artisans.

This is just a sprinkling of the many wonderful items I found on Etsy this morning; all support some worthy cause with their purchase. It was a fun treasury to make; maybe I'll keep this up for a while.

Meanwhile, a quick update on my clutter-busting efforts: I loaded up a trunkload of household items and vintage collectible gems and dropped them off at Goodwill on Tuesday. Rah, rah! Still lots more to go, but it's progress. Not only that, but my sister-in-law and I spent the whole day out and didn't darken the door of a single antique or thrift shop! A first.

Yesterday I spent the day sewing. It's my younger granddaughter's first birthday in a few days, and I'm working on a little present for her. (I'll share a photo when it's done.) I even managed to put in a zipper with fair success, using a method I've never tried before. (It was a vintage zipper and I used the enclosed instructions. You can buy zippers for a song at most thrift shops--lots cheaper than new. Also hem lace, seam binding, thread...) Yes, I had to rip out a lot of erroneous seams along the way before I figured out how it was supposed to work, but now that I know--yahoo! I'll do this again.



 

No comments :

Post a Comment