Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Time Out for Girl Fun



Our glorious summer continues, though today I saw the first red leaves on the vine maple trees at the back of our property. I hate to see this wonderful summer end; it's the best one I remember in over 35 years of living in the Pacific Northwest.

I've been keeping doggedly at my reorganizing and decluttering projects, but it's slow going. Every so often I have to cut loose from that dreary task and do something fun, just to maintain my sanity. (Well, after my fashion!)

This week I felt the time had come to fulfill an idea I've been toying with for a few years: making a proper dress-up box for my granddaughters to play with.

I've been stashing away frilly little bits and pieces for quite a while, waiting for the right time and the right box. Finally, I found this great vintage suitcase at a garage sale, for which I paid $3.00. It's quite clean, sturdy, and has no "scary" odors.

Isn't it terrific?

Then I began my "destash" (or perhaps I should say "restash") of sheer organza aprons, pink satin and nylon bedjackets, shawls, scarves, and darling shoes I still adore but can no longer wear. (For more about that, you can check out this old post:  http://sheertrashroadshow.blogspot.com/2013/04/from-here-to-podiatry.htm)


No little girl can resist lacy, flowery pink stuff!

I've been stockpiling this stuff for quite a while now. Anything remotely frilly or flowing has been fodder for my foolery. (Don't you love alliteration?) 

A flocked mob cap, snared at a local thrift shop for 69 cents...  
 
A quartet of neon-colored chiffon juggling scarves one of my boys had...




This garage sale skirt had such a delightful petticoat underneath that I knew it would be perfect...

...once I cut the calico overskirt off and added elastic at the waist so it would fit a preschooler.

This terrific confection of a hat has livened up many a family party. We've all donned it at one point or another to indulge in silliness and mayhem. 

This "Juliet" cap bridal veil has been for sale in my MelmacParadise shop for months but hasn't resulted in a buyer, so--guess what--my grandkids get it! I'm sure they'll get $15 worth of pleasure out of it, which is what it cost me at a garage sale originally.     

Some old clip-on earrings, bright plastic bead necklaces, and a few vintage purses that have seen better days were the finishing touch.

Today my older granddaughter came to visit. She was thrilled with the magical suitcase, and spent a happy afternoon tromping around the yard in her finery.


Copyright by Victoria Clark, 2014. Please do not reproduce without permission.
 
Grandma had a high old time, too!





No comments :

Post a Comment