Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Saturday, November 22, 2014

What's in a Name?

This past week has been one of the busiest I've ever experienced as an Etsy seller. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say it's been the busiest. 

In the midst of the frenzy, though, I have enjoyed a pleasant Etsy-style correspondence with another seller. It began with this treasury, in which my little animal Christmas ornaments were prominently featured:

https://www.etsy.com/treasury/MTQ1MTc4MjN8MjcyNzAzNzIxMg/wish-list-animal-rescue
The curator, Kat Compton of InspirationParadise (with a name like that for her shop, how could I not be impressed?!) added this description to the treasury:



A Christmas wish for adoptable pets to find loving homes!

All of these items will help animal rescue efforts, so help out a fuzzy friend this holiday season! And please bring your animals indoors.


Shortly after the treasury appeared, Kat sent me this message:

My Great-Aunt Dot had a beloved little schnauzer named Peppy, he was such a wonderful dog and she loved him so much that when she passed away, she had an etching of him on her lap etched into her headstone. She was also an avid supporter of The Humane Society making monthly donations to them for many, many years.
Its been a little while since she's popped into my mind, so thank you again Peppy for bringing memories of a lost loved-loved one into the foreground- I'm sure she would thank you as well for your efforts to help a cause she felt so dearly about :) 


Lovely communications like this really make my day, and it's part of what I enjoy about Etsy. There really is a sense of community among the sellers. I was fascinated to hear about another beloved dog named Peppy, not only because of my little red pomeranian, but because this is yet another great dog who happened to have the same name. You see, "my pal Peppy" is actually my second dog named Peppy. It was because my kids had heard me tell so many stories about the original Peppy that my son Wyatt wanted to name our present Peppy that same name. I balked some at first, but now I'm glad I heeded his suggestion.

Here, in these discolored old photographs is the original Peppy:



Peppy was a medium-sized mutt that the family acquired when my brother's girlfriend gave him a puppy for a gift. (A really stupid thing to do, by the way--I recall my mom wasn't initially thrilled.) My dad, by his own admission, "loved dogs to death" and very quickly bonded to "Gungy" as he was pre-named by the aforementioned thoughtless girlfriend. That name was properly and promptly tossed out and "Gungy" became Peppy. We lived in Florida at the time; I was in high school. (That's Daddy in the middle photo; I'm the one looking native in my bikini and long braids.)

Peppy was one smart cookie. We never actually trained him to do anything; none of us really knew how. But he was outgoing and clever and soon taught himself to bring in the newspaper when it was tossed on the driveway. (He also taught himself to bring in all the other newspapers tossed in driveways up and down the street if we didn't watch him!)

It wasn't long before Peppy took this fetching up a notch and he would wait by the mailbox along the road, claiming the mail when the postman delivered it, and promptly bringing it inside. At first the mailman was dubious, but he soon realized we were okay with this and that Peppy could be trusted, so he would just hand the bundle of letters out and Pep would trot them back to the house. The mailman got a kick out of it; we all did. 

We took Peppy with us on our outings; there was an island we often boated to, taking a picnic and spending the day swimming and beachcombing. Peppy loved this. Plenty of room to run and no restrictions. The only thing that worried him was when we would go swimming. I don't know if he thought we'd swim off and leave him or if he was just anxious to join the fun, but inevitably he would come paddling madly out into the water after us, and one of us would steer him back to shore, where he'd start the cycle over again. He would never give up, so usually one of us took pity on him and got out to keep him company before he could churn himself to exhaustion.

He was an exceptional dog. I don't expect ever to have another quite like him.


Now this Peppy is a complete contrast to the Peppy of my high school years. He's every bit as intelligent, but quiet, anxious around strangers, more serious and intuitive. It's startling how much he understands of what he hears us say. He's more attached to his family than the other Pep, who never met a stranger. This Peppy was an answer to prayer--literally. I call him my "autumn leaf boy" because of his beautiful color. I don't expect ever to have a dog quite like him again, either, though we have two other poms and I love them all dearly. I can well understand why Kat's aunt Dot had her dog's image engraved on her headstone. 

A good dog is a blessing. 

I hope everyone will visit Kat's shop. She makes exquisite wire-wrapped jewelry:



Autumn Leaf Statement Necklace Fall Color Jewelry Copper Wire Wrapped Gemstones Red Jasper, Goldstone, Yellow Jade
www.etsy.com/listing/206386685/autumn-leaf-statement-necklace-fall


 

Amethyst and Rose Quartz Cluster Earrings- Pink and Purple Wire Wrapped Earrings with Copper Wire, Hypoallergenic with Niobium Earring Hooks
www.etsy.com/listing/200809422/amethyst-and-rose-quartz-cluster





https://img1.etsystatic.com/050/1/8069301/il_570xN.668641163_e9ub.jpg
www.etsy.com/listing/207615841/autumn-boho-bracelet-copper-wire-wrapped



And before I forget (again!) I wanted to share this pretty treasury, featuring many of my teammates' shops, as well as MyPalPeppy AND MelmacParadise:

www.etsy.com/treasury/MjU1ODU2Njd8MjcyNzAzNjM0NA/epsteams-newest-treasures

Don't you dig those groovy boots?!!

No comments :

Post a Comment