Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

My Favorite Pumpkin Pie Recipe


Got Turkey?




Swan / Turkey from MyPalPeppy: A Free Tutorial/ Family Craft Project




This won't be a long post; the fam is gathering tomorrow and I still have some housework I need to do. Fortunately, my baking is completed. I made bread for dressing today and also a pumpkin pie. I have cake layers in the freezer to take out and decorate tomorrow morning for my middle son, whose birthday falls on Thanksgiving this year. My daughter-in-law is bringing pecan pie, and we have candy... I think we're set for dessert, providing anyone can work up an appetite for any after the huge turkey dinner. 

I've been using my current pumpkin pie recipe for close to 35 years.
I found it in Carla Emery's Old Fashioned Recipe Book,  a publishing phenomenon that came out in the 1970s. Far from being an ordinary cookbook, it was the primer many of us depended on for our rite-of-passage, back-to-basics journey called "living off the land". The book's been reprinted since, though not in the same format, and mine is so well-used it's falling apart. This recipe is the best!


Pumpkream Pie

Mix together 1 cup granulated sugar (I prefer a bit less, say 3/4 c.)
                      1 pinch salt
                      1 teaspoon cinnamon
                      1/4 teaspoon cloves
                      1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Beat in           2 eggs

Then add       1 cup well-cooked down pumpkin (I use canned)
                      1 cup whipping cream

Pour into an unbaked pie shell and bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375 degrees and continue baking until it raises up, then makes small cracks around the edge, about 20-30 minutes. 
It's really simple, but it has such a wonderful texture and flavor I far prefer it to any traditional pumpkin pie recipe. It looks a little different; the surface isn't smooth. It's so good with real whipped cream!


  

 

No comments :

Post a Comment