Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Snowed Under



www.etsy.com/treasury/MTUzNDcxMDN8MjcyNDY1Mjk1NQ/silent-snow-secret-snow


What a week, and it's only halfway through!

No, I'm not actually buried in snow, like so many of you--far from it. But MelmacParadise had the good fortune to be chosen this week as Epsteam's Featured Shop of the Week, and the result has been nothing short of phenomenal. I'm averaging over 1000 favorites a day, and over 300 views! You gotta love Epsteam. And to think I almost didn't reopen...  

Anyway, I've been so busy with the Melmac shop, poor little MyPalPeppy has been neglected, so I whipped out this treasury just a little bit ago.

I've always loved "Silent Snow, Secret Snow" by Conrad Aiken, ever since I saw it adapted for television on Rod Serling's Night Gallery program back in the late 1960s. It struck me so forcibly that I went to the school library the day after it aired to find a copy of it. I saw it again a year or so ago via Netflix, but today I was excited to learn there was an earlier adaptation in black and white, made in 1966:





Unfortunately, the last few seconds of the film have been cut off, so I include the words from the short story at the end of this post, and you can also read it in its entirety at this link:
http://fullreads.com/horror/silent-snow-secret-snow/





“We’ll tell you the last, the most beautiful and secret story-shut your eyes-it is a very small story-a story that gets smaller and smaller-it comes inward instead of opening like a flower-it is a flower becoming a seed-a little cold seed-do you hear” We are leaning closer to you”-
The hiss was now becoming a roar-the whole world was a vast moving screen of snow-but even now it said peace, it said remoteness, it said cold, it said sleep.

No comments :

Post a Comment