Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Thursday, March 5, 2015

And Today We Have Naming of Parts





Well, today we have the naming of a part, anyway. At least I hope so! 

I was sorting out a storage bin of vintage wrapping paper last week when out fell a tiny, rubbery bit of blue...some bit of a long-forgotten toy. Here it is:




I suppose this speaks to my obsession for vintage finds that I didn't immediately toss it into the wastebasket, but I've learned over the years that one man's trash is indeed another man's treasure, so before chucking this out, I thought I'd ask if anyone out there in cyberland knows what toy of which this used to be a part, in case there is an avid collector/restorer out there simply languishing for want of this particular piece. 

And as long as I'm on the subject, I'm still trying to find the name of the Corgi Rockets model to which this key belonged:



And... (hey, why stop now?) I want to show again the manufacturer's mark on a pair of modernist cow figurines I've had for a while now but been unable to identify. Surely someone knows this company or artist?





The cows are pretty nifty; here's the pair:




Okay, now it's time for some light entertainment so I have a parody of Henry Reed's "Naming of Parts" which I hope you will enjoy.

Today we have Baking of Tarts. Yesterday
We had Simple Salads. And a fortnight tomorrow
We shall have How to Garnish Cod cutlets. But today
Today we have Baking of Tarts. The viewers
Ogle their screens in a flurry of breathless excitement,
For today we have Baking of Tarts.

This is the plastic mixing bowl. And this
Is the rolling-pin and the board, whose use you will see
In a moment. And this is the transparent oven
Which in your case you have not got. The speaker
Warms to her theme with ardent, unflagging exuberance,
Which in our case we have not got.

This is the strawberry jam which is neatly extracted
With a gentle thrust of the spoon. And please do not let me
See anyone licking his fingers. It is perfectly easy
If you have any jam in your pot. The viewers
Are silent and motionless, never letting anyone see
Any of them licking their fingers.

And this you can see is the lard. The purpose of this
Is to prevent the pastry from sticking. We can smear it
Rapidly backwards and forwards: we call this
Greasing the tin. And rapidly backwards and forwards
The viewers are fumbling for biscuits and spilling their coffee:
They call it ruining the carpet.

They call it ruining the carpet. It is perfectly easy
If your mind is attempting to cope with the cookery expert
While your hands are engaged in juggling with saucers and plates
And trying meanwhile to secure a reasonable share
Of the cheese straws, which in our case we have not got:
For today we have Baking of Tarts.


                          --E.V. Milner

(I want to thank blogger katiemorris for sharing this!)
http://katiemorris.livejournal.com/111875.html

And for no particular reason whatever apart from its being ridiculous to the sublime degree, I present the following for your amusement as well:





















No comments :

Post a Comment