Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Dresser Scarf Project

Last week I had an idea that worked out quite well, so I wanted to share it so you can try it, too.

At an estate sale some time ago I acquired a box of vintage embroidered linens, mostly pretty pillowcases. But there were a few odds and ends as well, one of which was a dresser scarf or table runner. You know the type I mean--sort of long and narrow with the identical design embroidered on each end, like this beauty which is available through Etsy shop WoodandLace:

The one I had was nowhere near as striking as the scarf pictured above. It was a pretty simple floral design; nice, but nothing special. It had been lying in a drawer waiting for me to either sell it or get some inspiration for using it, and suddenly I had an idea: pinafore!

I rummaged through my pattern stash and found a toddler's jumper pattern which I used to get some basic proportions. Then I cut the scarf out, maintaining as much of the original lace trimmed edging as I could. The rest I loosened with my trusty seam ripper and saved to re-attach after sewing the shoulder seams and adding some bias-tape ties. The neckline was simple. I snipped each corner, folded the edges under, ironed them down, and top-stitched them.

The whole project was done in an afternoon, and I was quite pleased with the result. So pleased, in fact, that I got inspired the next day to make a coordinating simple peasant-style dress in a pretty spring-green gingham. I had a super-easy old pattern with no buttons, zippers, or darts. During the next couple of days I worked on it sporadically, and here is the result:

Pinafore has the same design front and back! Can't wait to see my granddaughter in this.

I'm excited about the possibilities now that I've tried this, and I'm going to be keeping my eyes open for runners and scarves embroidered with kitschy designs like little cats and dogs. This could be an especially good way to make use of those linens with small tears or stains, depending on their placement. The back could be plain, too, if one side of the runner was damaged beyond salvaging.

1 comment :

  1. That's adorable!! You did a great job putting it together. What a great idea!