Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Monster Mom

BLOGSPOT INFORMS ME THAT I AM SUPPOSED TO ISSUE A DISCLOSURE STATEMENT ABOUT COOKIES FOR THE SAKE OF ANY EUROPEAN VISITORS TO THIS SITE. SORRY, I DO NOT INTEND TO PROVIDE YOU WITH ANY COOKIES. IF YOU WANT COOKIES, BAKE SOME OF YOUR OWN. (Seriously, though, what I know about computer "cookies" could be balanced on the head of a pin. If there are some sort of mysterious cyber cookies here, it's none of my doing!) 





About a week ago my son Wyatt inadvertently created a monster of sorts:

He introduced me to the Trololo Man via YouTube. It's so ridiculous it's wonderful, and now I can't stop singing and humming and whistling this goofy little tune.

You may as well join me!





Dig that awful seventies plastered-down hair style, and the frozen botox smile--I love it! Funny to think that this is what the Russians were doing for entertainment during the Cold War era. But I have to admit, this guy grows on you! Don't say you haven't been forewarned.

Okay, enough of that absurdity. Let me show you some of my own.

Last Friday I attended two church rummage sales. 

I like church sales; some are dismal, of course, but so often I find a real prize, and the prices are terrific. 

This time I came home with a variety of goodies: a pair of huge Mediterranean style Syroco mirrors, a cool tacky framed picture of autumn foliage--unique because of its plastic lenticular lens covering that gives it a 3-dimensional look (not sure if you can see it here or not, but it's terrifically, wonderfully tacky, like something out of a gumball machine only mega-sized)

and also a brass and lucite box-style purse with a missing handle that I hope to repair.

And I nabbed these:



A bunch of vintage plastic mice musicians, cake toppers originally, I suppose they must have been. And I found a second bagful of little flocked mice, as well, which I'll try and show you another time. I'm trying to remember what I paid for these little vermin--75 cents for the lot, at most.

The vintage orange plastic dish pan was a bit of inspiration. I spotted it right away when I first arrived at the sale, and grabbed it to put my finds into so I wouldn't have to juggle junk with my hands full. It worked great, and for 25 cents I decided to go ahead and buy it. I love orange. I love plastic. It was a no-brainer. (Or maybe you're thinking I am the no-brainer? Well, maybe you have something there!)

Some other happy items I found for a quarter apiece were these delightful vintage Easter die-cut paper decorations.

Some clueless ninny had put adhesive price tags on the front of these, but I was able to carefully peel them away without damaging the images, thank goodness. 

(Honestly, who does that sort of thing? It drives me crazy! I've seen so many wonderful vintage paper ephemera items and books damaged by adhesive price tags glued to the fronts of those easily-torn graphics when they so easily could have been stuck on underneath or even not at all!)

Let me think, what else have I been up to? Time's gotten away from me this month and it's tough to remember what I planned to share.

Oh, yes! I remember now.

My daughter came out for a visit earlier this month and she was sorting through a big hatbox full of vintage doll clothes I've been amassing since her last trip out. She seized on a pretty pink flocked dress and got very excited about it.



I knew it was an old dress by the flocked fabric, but it had no label or anything, so I had no idea it was anything particularly noteworthy. If I remember right, it was one of a bagful of doll dresses I obtained for about $1. 

Madeline, however, being something of a mid-century doll expert, showed me the place at the waist where the original label had been clipped off, which helped her clinch the identity of this little frock as one known as "Cherries a la Mode" for a 15-inch Miss Revlon doll, also known by collectors as model VT-15.
You can see the bit of label still stitched in to the waistband in this photo. I had never noticed it.
There were a number of variations of the Cherries a la Mode outfit, but most of them were made for a larger version of Miss Revlon. The 15-inch size dress is much harder to find, she explained. 

At her urging, I put this up for sale on eBay and was amazed at the response it got. Even in imperfect condition, the bidding capped out at $67! 

Here's a photo I found on Pinterest of a Miss Revlon doll (the larger type, I think; as I understand it, the VT-15 outfit didn't include a straw hat) wearing a blue version of the Cherries a la Mode outfit:



So this is something new to know about--if you see a doll dress that looks like it might be collectible but it doesn't have a label inside, check at the waist to see if there's evidence of one that has been clipped off. It may be a Miss Revlon piece that's worth good money!

Signing off...  Another junking expedition coming up tomorrow so who knows what I'll find to share in the next post?

Tro-lo-lo-lo, lo-lo-lo, lo-lo-lo, tro-lo-lo-lo!




















No comments :

Post a Comment