Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Help Me Out Here

Okay, it's me again, back from Friday's junking foray. And I have a couple of items I'm hoping you can help me identify.

First off, for you glassware collectors, can anyone tell me the make or design of this pretty frosted glass with white and gold horses on it? It's about 7 inches tall, and very challenging to photograph, I'm finding! Quite pretty, though.



My other little mystery is a pair of solid plastic or resin Christmas tree ornaments that remind me somewhat of Strawberry Shortcake figures. I've looked online to try and find similar figures without any luck. They have no manufacturer's markings to help me out.



It was a good junking expedition overall. I came home with some fabulous (and cheap!) mid-century modern metal wire pieces--a big ashtray affair, and a vanity chair. Both need some refurbishing and I'm excited about tackling them. I hope to show both of them to you in a future post. 

Lately I've been on a bit of roll with similar projects, and I wanted to show you the one I just finished.

I began with a metal filigree tray with a glass bottom. It's fashioned much like a picture frame with little legs, and the glass bottom slides out. The metal part was losing its paint in places and looking rather beat-up, and the glass had a numerous scratches and wear.


My plan was to take the glass out and use my trusty Rustoleum spray paint on the metal framework. But the glass was a problem. Then, I had a "Eureka!" moment. I took a scrap of lace fabric and taped it firmly in place, overlapping the fabric onto the back.



I wasn't quite sure how it would turn out, but I figured the glass was so bad off I couldn't really make it much worse.



Here it is after a few passes with the spray paint. Rather uneven, but hey, it was a windy day!

I waited for it to dry, and then...  the excitement of peeling off the lace:


Cool, huh? I'm rather jazzed about the possibilities. Maybe use paper doilies next time, or stiff paper cut-outs in interesting shapes...

With both pieces of the tray spray-painted and dry, I flipped the glass over (painted side down) and slid it back into the framework.
Here's how it turned out!



This will probably be appearing in MelmacParadise this coming week. I'm rather proud of it!

Speaking of MelmacParadise, I've announced a shipping delay on the site so I can have a bit of time to get MyPalPeppy back up and running by mid-September. I have projects to finish and lots of new items to list. Well, new to the store--I'm talking vintage, naturally. Stop by and browse sometime!








No comments :

Post a Comment