Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Friday, September 25, 2015

In a Last Exuberant Fling

Sonnet 73


That time of year thou may'st in me behold 
When yellow leaves, or none, or few, do hang
Upon those boughs which shake against the cold, 
Bare ruin'd choirs, where late the sweet birds sang. 
In me thou see'st the twilight of such day, 
As after sunset fadeth in the west, 
Which by-and-by black night doth take away,
Death's second self, that seals up all in rest. 
In me thou see'st the glowing of such fire 
That on the ashes of his youth doth lie, 
As the death-bed whereon it must expire 
Consum'd with that which it was nourish'd by. 
   This thou perceivest, which makes thy love more strong,
   To love that well which thou must leave ere long.


                                               --William Shakespeare


www.etsy.com/treasury/MTA0ODU1ODB8MjcyNzg0Nzk0Mg/in-a-last-exuberant-fling
I was musing this morning about the poignancy of autumn; nature pulls out all the stops for color as if to shake its fist in winter's looming face. It's not just the leaves, either. The late summer flowers are almost always vividly, intensely bright. I think this is what makes me love autumn so much. It's so beautiful it makes me sad and happy at the same time. 

The first movement of the Brahms violin concerto affects me the same way. It's so haunting and sad, I feel strangely, hopefully uplifted when listening to it. 



Okay, enough of serious thoughts.

I'm about to embark on a last exuberant fling, myself. My sister-in-law and and I are off to visit the last flea market of the season. I don't actually anticipate coming home with much (famous last words!) but I shall relish the outing and the oohing and aahhing over all the vintage gems I behold.

Actually I've been pretty good at not hauling home all and sundry this past summer. (You'll notice there've been far fewer "Friday's Finds" posts than in the past.) My junking has been more focused and disciplined. I either have to want a thing myself, plan to give it as a gift, or know with reasonable certainty that it is a find someone is likely to buy while giving me a modest but reasonable profit for my time and effort.

But I still love to look at it all, fondle the merchandise longingly, and walk away unscathed. This is going to be a banner outing!

Next week I want to share some of my mid-century atomic 

 restoration projects, but keeping with the autumn color theme, I'll share this one now.





www.etsy.com/listing/248942080/refurbished-framed-raffia-flower-wall









Refurbished Framed Raffia Flower Wall Art Picture
www.etsy.com/listing/248942080/refurbished-framed-raffia-flower-wall

I wish I'd had the presence of mind to photograph it before I rejuvenated it, but truth to tell, when I bought this, my plan was to rip the thing out of its frame and use the best bits for decorating a straw purse. But when I got to looking at it more closely, I realized it was well worth salvaging in its original state. So I contrived some new pieces to fill in the spots where the original bits were missing or damaged, and then I freshened up the frame with gold paint. I'm loving the way it turned out! Kind of hoping no one buys it so I can justify keeping it--but that's always the way, isn't it, when you've put a bit of your own effort into a project?

Meanwhile, my chenille dog projects march merrily along, but it's not poodles this time.



It's Terriers Now!
(Or maybe they're schnauzers.)



Holiday Red Schnauzer / Terrier Chenille Dog
www.etsy.com/listing/248989201/holiday-red-schnauzer-terrier-chenille










www.etsy.com/listing/248981385/little-red-schnauzer-terrier-chenille







www.etsy.com/listing/248981599/pretty-pink-terrier-scotty-schnauzer



I've had fun making these (absolutely useless but delightful) little cuties, I'm wishing I hadn't donated most of my giant loopy chenille stash to the thrift shop this past summer. It had been sitting in my craft supply box for a couple of years, waiting vainly for me to get inspired, but I finally decided to clear out the materials I wasn't using. 

Then I found this wonderful vintage dog at a garage sale, and realized, "Hey, I can make something like this!"





Isn't he fabulous? His lenticular eyes wink and blink, making him even more fun and kitsch. He's a big guy, 9 1/2" tall, and this photo isn't showing his darling face, but you get the idea where I'm going with this.

Anyway, in Murphy's Law fashion, the inspiration came after the opportunity, as I had only a small amount of giant wired chenille left. I went looking for more online and was surprised and horrified to see the prices the stuff is going for--if one can find it--so I won't be making many more of these any time soon. Though I might get lucky and find some of this wired chenille at this weekend's flea market. Hope so, anyway!





No comments :

Post a Comment